Re: Unalocated Disk Space

I interpreted the OP's post to mean that the had a 160GB HDD with 10GB unallocated and not a 160MB HDD with 10MB unallocated
Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition.
Also I have never heard of "Aligning Partitions" before nor could I find any information about it using Bing

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4369ABC5-11CA-43D9-8F4E-86818D687134@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uG6$z7lIKHA.2516@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I thought the space might be the space reserved by the OS for restore points.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eX1i2wlIKHA.4608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi JamesJ,

It's a leftover bit from aligning the partition, quite normal.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OGzrUdlIKHA.1340@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a 160mb internal hard drive with 1 partition (ntfs). Vista sp2.
When viewing drive info 3rd party software is showing the used space and also 10mb of unallocated space.
Anyone know what this unallocated space is?

Thanks,
James

10GB maybe, but not 10MB.

  • Re: Unalocated Disk Space
    ... "Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message ... Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition. ... When viewing drive info 3rd party software is showing the used space and also 10mb of unallocated space. ...
  • Re: Unalocated Disk Space
    ... Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition. ... Rick Rogers, ... When viewing drive info 3rd party software is showing the used space and also 10mb of unallocated space. ...
  • Re: Quick reply sought: Should I start the partition at the beginning?
    ... I've partitioned the new HDD with PartionMagic. ... It's there on all hard drives, and always has, as far as I can remember. ... The drive I'm using shows no unallocated space and it's primary. ... Should the drive I'm copying the image to be a primary partition? ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: XP doesnt recognize 200Gb Hard Drive
    ... If the "missing" portion of the HDD does not show as unallocated space in disk management then you will not be able to use that space. ... Why would someone partition a hard drive other than using it ...
  • Re: Cloning XP Pro (legally)... and failing !
    ... How many partitions are there on HDD B? ... Which partition has the OS? ... B Windows from MSI's original B CD and SP2 ... Does the "active" Primary partition contain the boot files? ...