Re: Slave drive problems

If you have 2 IDE drives one configured as a master and one configured as a slave and they are not working on one of your MOBO connectors does your MOBO also have a second IDE connector you can try?
Have you tried only one drive at a time configured as a master?
You can not have 2 slave drives on the same IDE connector.

"Graham Hall" <graham.me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u06lOZPIKHA.4432@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have bought a new system with Vista Home Premium and I am trying to install an IDE hard drive as a slave. These are from my old system and I just want them installed so I can copy across stuff.

I have done this in XP with no problem but I cannot seem to get this system to see them.

If they do not show up in Bios does this mean Vista wont see them? I have tried varies jumper settings but my Bios just wont see either of my drives.

My new system has a Sata HD installed so I am just connecting my slave IDE HD to the empty IDE connector on the Mobo.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Graham

  • Re: SATA & IDE in same computer
    ... >>> with IDE and SATA drives installed. ... The best thing is to remove all drives that could cause ambiguity at ... multiple SCSI HDs or multiple S-ATA HDs. ... >> the jumpers on the IDE drive as slave. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: "error loading operating system"
    ... Its boot sequence is set to cd rom and it still give ... were able to detect the PRI Master and the SEC Slave and it was set to boot ... I have personally seen CD drives not "booting" when set up as SEC ... IDE settings follow the requirements that a Master should be connected ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Master/Slave issue
    ... for slave. ... WD lists most of their ide HDs to remove the jumperfor master alone (no ... but the BIOS says the two IDE drives are UNKNOWN. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration
    ... Only one IDE connector! ... the sharing of that single bus does affect operation of all ... The install process, during which both drives *are* active, worked ...
    (Fedora)