Re: Vista fails switching default device when HDMI is plug/unplug

I see, however I'm still confused.
Vista uses TMM to detect when a external device is connected.
TMM then calls the driver to set up the proper display profile... so how can possibly Vista not know what the Gfx is doing? Vista detect the HDMI device in first place.
From my tests, EDID is read ok each time and the monitor is properly
identified also.
Also, if the HDMI's EDID wouldn't indicate sound support then it would always fail. How come it sometimes work ok? it is after testing 4 or 5 times that the switching fails.
Also, I've tested over 12 different HDMI monitors, I doubt they all have the same EDID problem and -of course- they all support audio.

Thanks
e.

"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OAqNkosHKHA.3736@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vista does not make the decision on incorporating sound from your graphics card over it's HDMI interface. Your graphic card drivers make this decision based on how you have your graphics card and it's cable configured with it's current drivers and on what EDID information it receives from the destination HDMI interface. The EDID information from the destination HDMI interface may state that it only accepts video over HDMI for example.
Since Vista itself does not know AFAIK what your graphics card is doing it does not know when to shift audio from the graphics card output to internal audio connections.

"Edge30" <edi_llerena@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OmyWAKsHKHA.4168@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello
I've have a big number of systems (several brand/models/configurations) but they all have this problem.
We use Vista 64bit.
When a HDMI monitor is connected, the sound should automatically select HDMI as default device
When the HDMI monitos is disconnected, the sound should automatically select the system's internal audio device
But this doesn't happen, sometimes it fails when selecting the HDMI monitor audio as default, sometimes it works ok but fails to return to the system's internal audio when the HDMI monitor is disconnected.
Sometimes it works ok once, but if we repeat the test several times, after 4 or 5 times it fails.

We have lots of customers complaining for this.

As I said, this happens in many different platforms: desktops, laptops, with Nvidia Gfx, with ATI Gfx, with several HDMI monitor brands/models
Also we tested with:
Vista in-the-box audio drivers
Latest Gfx vendor's drivers: i.e. ATI, Nvidia
Previous Gfx vendor drivers (previous versions from ATI, Nvidia)
Realtek HD drivers (realtek makes drivers for ATI and offers them separately)

They ALL fail. Basically I haven't found a system that doesn't show the problem

Any idea what's going on? any solution known?

Thanks
e.

  • Re: Vista fails switching default device when HDMI is plug/unplug
    ... But is important to realize that your display cable is connected to a connector on your graphics card which is why Vista has no real idea of what is happening. ... Your graphic card drivers make this decision based on how you have your graphics card and it's cable configured with it's current drivers and on what EDID information it receives from the destination HDMI interface. ... But this doesn't happen, sometimes it fails when selecting the HDMI monitor audio as default, sometimes it works ok but fails to return to the system's internal audio when the HDMI monitor is disconnected. ...
  • Re: PC building tips?
    ... And here all these people are whining about this DAW program or audio ... popular system in the field isn't running under Vista yet. ... Vista is an abortion of an OS for audio. ... card makers to produce 64 bit drivers for Vista. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: World of Warcraft & audiodg
    ... audiodg.exe is some new audio component in Vista that, ... engine for Vista. ... Audio/Video in Vista run at the User Level, XP drivers used to run at ... Business and an integrated HD audio card, and at home on a system ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)
  • Re: problems about wireless connection due to vista update
    ... Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? ... If you roll back both drivers, ... Update type: Optional ... 2.Conexant - Audio - Conexant High Definition Audio ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: My Vista/Delphi/Dev experience - Soundcards
    ... Ok I got the sound but Vista disabled ... visualizer can not grab sound from the card. ... Check that you have the manufacturer's own Vista-specific drivers for your ... The first change we made was to move the entire audio stack ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)