Re: Memory Problem

That'd be what's expected. In the 32-bit version of Vista, your actual available memory space will be between 2.7-3.3GB, as the 32-bit version only has 4GB of addresses available and some of these reserved for the hardware. How much is reserved depends on the system and its configuration, the memory gets whatever the difference is. Installation of SP1 will allow it to report that there is 4GB installed, but the usable memory figure will always be around 3GB.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uOsLnjiHKHA.4092@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Update:
Have turned remap off in the BIOS and now Windows 7 reports 4 GB installed and 2.94 GB usable
Now the BIOS reports available system memory 3008 MB

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#UnSZ1hHKHA.5956@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, I have just put in 4 x 1GB modules and still reporting 2GB usable

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eWJ9MchHKHA.4608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes I do

"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#$nWsKhHKHA.3736@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you have a matched pair of 2GB modules?

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eEngiHhHKHA.3708@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a ASUS P5B-PLUS Motherboard and have installed 2 x 2GB DDR-2 800MHz modules in it and the BIOS only showed as having 3GB installed so I updated to the latest BIOS version and remapped the memory in the BIOS and now the BIOS is showing all 4GB, but after installing Windows 7 32-Bit it shows in system properties as 4GB installed but only 2GB usable.

The motherboard is a couple of years old now and was wonder if installing 2GB modules is the problem, I'll try to get a hold of 4 x 1GB modules and see what shows up

  • Re: Blank screen after playing with bios
    ... >I have just installed Windows XP from Windows 98. ... When I finished installing it I was told to re-boot my computer ... On the reboot I redid the BIOS but only changed a little. ... try clearing the CMOS and see if this fixes the ...
  • Re: Re:Update...
    ... hard disk controller drivers and that would translate into it not 'seeing' ... you will not have to activate windows if you ... boot from the dell xp cd prior to installing... ... There are 4 sticks of memory. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Windows does not see all RAM
    ... The memory modules are fine. ... I also tried other modules with the same result -- BIOS sees it ... The computer has 1GB of RAM. ... However when you login to Windows and view the system properties it ...
  • Re: SATA nightmare!!!
    ... It turned out to be my memory - no idea why memory problems arose during a ... Installing SATA in this mobo is a nightmare. ... > that its an issue with the RAID configuration within Windows "apparently". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Computer has slowed way down
    ... and before installing any other ... My thanks also to Richard Urban who also suggested removing McAfee. ... primary memory cache 512 Kb secondary memory cache. ... Have you installed all the latest Windows critical updates? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)