Re: Hard Drive Failure after Sleep

"arrgh" wrote in message news:%23WKedVUHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks guys for your input.

I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, but from my understanding, Sleep/Hibernation has a unique interaction with the hardware. Upon activation of the sleep state, the software turns off all processes, but still needs to draw a small amount of power to maintain the memory state. The system shuts down all other devices, such as the video card, hard drives, etc. so that it can run on the lowest possible amount of power. Restoring the power turns back on all devices simultaneously, but in Vista, it is not always in order of dependencies. By not having certain dependencies for devices/system processes, this commonly results in a BSOD.

Regardless of the accuracy of the above rationale, my hard drive is clicking, which means the head is not in the correct place, and is going beyond the platter, and hitting the inside of the hard drive enclosure. I believe this is a hardware issue since BIOS doesn't even finish POSTing, and disconnecting the offending drive allows for the system to at least POST.

I'm going to try the freezer trick (which probably won't reset the head -but why not?), but maybe I'll be irrationally lucky. In the case that this works, I was wondering if there was a particular boot utility I would have to use to get transfer the files onto a USB drive. (I have the Ultimate Boot CD but not sure which program to use in this case) Thanks for any suggestions/help.

When your computer is in hibernation it does not maintain the memory state.
The status of your apps (including data that has not otherwise been save)
is recorded in the HYBERFILL file in your root directory (usually c:).
The only standby current available is the very low current that is required
to boot your computer, when you press the start button. Your settings
are then restored from the HYBERFILL file. That file is of the same size
as the RAM installe don your computer.

--

You may have a defective hard drive which you should backup fast in case
of a total failure.

  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >I can appreciate that 'cheaply made' hardware combined with an OEM OS ... it with compressed air. ... Sometimes hard drives are encased in very tight ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What type of error is this?
    ... of likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. ... Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible ... hardware components or applications. ... RAM and hard drives) that will ...
  • Re: Install Problems ME to XP
    ... hardware components or applications. ... RAM and hard drives) that will ... HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe ... Upgrading to Windows XP ...
  • Re: file system inconsistency
    ... with older hardware having warnings like this, it doesn't ... Laptop screens, hard drives and fans. ... Disk caching improves speed because it doesn't write all data to the disk until the head is in the right area..it spends most time in the directory area unsurprisngly. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: files will not copy for XP Home install