Re: Hard Drive Failure after Sleep

Technically no, the clicking doesn't have to mean that. I've heard the same from drives with bad platen motors as well as drives that have a corrupt spot but are otherwise okay ... and from drives that are completely okay, just noisy. :-) I repeat, what diagnostics have you done? Before you start getting radical and tearing things apart, why not do some meaningful testing first?

"arrgh" wrote in message news:#WKedVUHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks guys for your input.

I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, but from my understanding, Sleep/Hibernation has a unique interaction with the hardware. Upon activation of the sleep state, the software turns off all processes, but still needs to draw a small amount of power to maintain the memory state. The system shuts down all other devices, such as the video card, hard drives, etc. so that it can run on the lowest possible amount of power. Restoring the power turns back on all devices simultaneously, but in Vista, it is not always in order of dependencies. By not having certain dependencies for devices/system processes, this commonly results in a BSOD.

Regardless of the accuracy of the above rationale, my hard drive is clicking, which means the head is not in the correct place, and is going beyond the platter, and hitting the inside of the hard drive enclosure. I believe this is a hardware issue since BIOS doesn't even finish POSTing, and disconnecting the offending drive allows for the system to at least POST.

I'm going to try the freezer trick (which probably won't reset the head -but why not?), but maybe I'll be irrationally lucky. In the case that this works, I was wondering if there was a particular boot utility I would have to use to get transfer the files onto a USB drive. (I have the Ultimate Boot CD but not sure which program to use in this case) Thanks for any suggestions/help.

  • Re: PC has died overnight
    ... The PSU is a Tagan TG600. ... with the power led coming on and off. ... Disconnect power from all hard drives, CD/DVD drives, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: HDD Compatibility
    ... and new larger drives appear in the ... BIOS Upgrades ... available expansion slot and then connecting your hard drives to it. ... than having to connect them to the controller card itself. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: PC has died overnight
    ... Now when I came to the PC this morning, and tried to bring the monitor back to life it stayed black and I heard clicking noises coming from the PC case, with the power led coming on and off. ... I first thought the PSU, ann was going to try another one I had but the main plug is only 20 pins and the board socket is 24 pins as well as another socket being different. ... Disconnect power from all hard drives, CD/DVD drives, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: power supply with a large number of connectors?
    ... >I'm trying to figure out the largest number of hard drives I can safely use ... The largest power supply wattage I see available ... 400-600 watt supply will handle it easily. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Can a hard drive be physically damaged due to power loss at startup time?
    ... power cord became unplugged from the transformer. ... to boot I also got a message that WINDOWS 98 HAS DECTECTED THAT DRIVE ... can cause physical damage to the hard drives. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)