Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....

That is what it's designed to do (depending on if your BIOS is set up that way, most are by default), but if you press it and release immediately, it will perform the function you specify in the power settings applet in control panel.

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u0NSphQHKHA.4376@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Interesting on any of my computers if I push and hold the power button on the front of the computer for about 5 seconds it completely shuts down and therefore completely interrupts any running process and the next time I boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown abnormally.
From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu available from the start menu. which I am not aware of.

"David B." <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:epdeCcQHKHA.1248@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So did I

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eF3pmsPHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
By power button I mean the on/off power button/switch on the front of the computer and not the Icon on the startup menu.

"David B." <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:umDrJSOHKHA.3736@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Says who? Using the power button to suspend, hibernate, or shutdown a computer is perfectly acceptable behavior. That's why there are setting which let you set what the power button does.

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uS2yriHHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unplug the computer and try plugging it back in again after a few minutes.
You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into hibernation or sleep mode you use the start button to select the shutdown mode.
If appears that the computer was shutoff by using the on/off button and may not be able to recover from the unscheduled shutdown.
Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work.

"colojomo" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:a96a6837eef7cb7935d5683bfd3b9c1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi,

i have an hp laptop running vista home premium. Well my girl hit the
power button to put it into hibernation, she said it didnt do anything.
Then she went to the start menu and put it into hibernate from there.
Well, now the pc will not power on, it is showing no signs of power
whatsoever. The onlt sign of power to the machine is the little light
around the AC input jac is lit up when its plugged in. PLEASE help so
much info on it.

Thanks in Advance

--
colojomo