Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....

So did I

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eF3pmsPHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
By power button I mean the on/off power button/switch on the front of the computer and not the Icon on the startup menu.

"David B." <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:umDrJSOHKHA.3736@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Says who? Using the power button to suspend, hibernate, or shutdown a computer is perfectly acceptable behavior. That's why there are setting which let you set what the power button does.

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uS2yriHHKHA.1492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unplug the computer and try plugging it back in again after a few minutes.
You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into hibernation or sleep mode you use the start button to select the shutdown mode.
If appears that the computer was shutoff by using the on/off button and may not be able to recover from the unscheduled shutdown.
Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work.

"colojomo" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:a96a6837eef7cb7935d5683bfd3b9c1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi,

i have an hp laptop running vista home premium. Well my girl hit the
power button to put it into hibernation, she said it didnt do anything.
Then she went to the start menu and put it into hibernate from there.
Well, now the pc will not power on, it is showing no signs of power
whatsoever. The onlt sign of power to the machine is the little light
around the AC input jac is lit up when its plugged in. PLEASE help so
much info on it.

Thanks in Advance

--
colojomo

  • Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....
    ... That is what it's designed to do, but if you press it and release immediately, it will perform the function you specify in the power settings applet in control panel. ... From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu available from the start menu. ... You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into hibernation or sleep mode you use the start button to select the shutdown mode. ... Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work. ...
  • Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....
    ... From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu available from the start menu. ... That's why there are setting which let you set what the power button does. ... You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into hibernation or sleep mode you use the start button to select the shutdown mode. ... Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work. ...
  • Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....
    ... "David B." ... From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu available from the start menu. ... That's why there are setting which let you set what the power button does. ... Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work. ...
  • Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....
    ... And I've discovered another use for the power button since then - almost by accident. ... I soon learned that the Reset button works - but at the cost of a restart, meaning that I lose whatever was not backed up before the sleep or hibernation or whatever that state was. ... From your comment apparently there is a way using to use the button on the front of the computer to emulate selecting the shutdown choice menu available from the start menu. ... Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work. ...
  • Re: Cnnot power on after a hibernation....
    ... boot I get an F8 dialog stating that my computer shutdown abnormally. ... You should never use the power button to try and put a computer into ... Try an F8 safe mode boot if a normal mode boot does not work. ...