Re: No Hard Disk Found

"mike6493" <mike6493.3wwanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:mike6493.3wwanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just finished putting a computer together today, and every time I try
to turn it on I get the error message "No hard disk found". Its a new HD
and so I've gone through and tried adjusting and trying different things
in bios but I just get the same message. Part of what I dont get is that
in Bios theres an option to change the boot order of the drives and in
that section there it is "WD blah blah 640" ect... yet when I try and
boot it still claims to not find it. I've tried moving around which
SATA slot its in and messed with cables and everything. So then I
thought well maybe the HD is bad so I plugged in my old HD which I know
works with my old setup and I still get the same message. Maybe Im
missing something but every post Ive read so far on the topic has not
helped. Some talk about editing bios settings that I don't have and
others recommend running disk checks and programs and stuff that I can't
do because I have not installed my OS yet (because I cant get it to
recognize my disk). Im really stuck here anything I could try would
help.

- Thanks

--
mike6493
mike6493's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124770.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

If you plugged in a known working hard drive (as you stated in the post) and it now doesn't work, I would suspect a definite hardware issue. After restoring the bios settings to what they were before the drive swap, ensure that all cables to the hard drive are firmly seated (both ends on the data cable.) If this doesn't fix the problem, try a new cable to the motherboard. If still, use a different power supply cable to the drive.

Can you actually hear the drive spinning up when you power up the machine?

  • Re: Sony Hi8 to Movie Maker via Canopus ADVC 110 Video Converter
    ... > unformatted and unallocated on disk creation. ... That area is used when two drives are combined into one ... >> I was still using my old hard drive cable, because some older cables can ... >> support a new drive's high data transfer rates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: New hard drive not recognized
    ... Both my friend and I reviewed the BIOS settings and saw nothing unusual. ... wouldn't reboot and gave this error message: "Non-system disk or disk ... "No logical DOS drives to delete"). ...
  • Re: External storage recommendations?
    ... Machine disk. ... I'm going to benchmark it over USB and FW just ... kudos for lots of cables. ... or copying between two external drives. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: What to do with 130XE and tape drive? (totally noob question)
    ... Even the simple non-USB cables will provide you with all the functionality you would probably need. ... You just download Atari programs or disk images off the internet to your clone and they load and run with the software just like your clone is an Atari 1050 drive. ... It is actually much better then that since your clone can simulate multiple drives and hot swap disks on the fly. ...
    (comp.sys.atari.8bit)
  • Re: I am running XP Home SP-2. Recently Ive noticed the following err
    ... Note it is a HARD disk, not an optical disk; ... this error OFTEN occurs w/ IDE ZIP drives. ... If this is a real HD, check the cables. ... open the box and check all cables and fans, clean out dust, clean any ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)