Re: DVD-RW drive question

CPU speed may be secondary. Try option 1. If you don't enter a product key you will have 30 days before you have to activate. Use the system with option 1 for a few days. Then try option 2, again without entering a product key. Then pick the configuration you liked best or go to option 3.

Your advice was excellent. I installed the nVidia Series 9 cheapo forty dollar video card and Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit Edition at pretty much the same time. That Windows Vista is a wonder and it picked up on the onboard audio and wireless networking card immediately. I did enter the serial number because it asked for it and then Vista activated itself in about five seconds.

The Windows Experience Index reads like this

Processor 4.1
Memory 5.4
Graphics 4.1
Gaming Graphics 5.0
Primary Hard Disk 5.9

That is more than enough for the relative lightweight stuff that I do which is mainly internet, Money, Office, and movies using the Windows Media Player as the movie viewer.

I still have some issue with the DVD-RW drive. When I put in a DVD or CD the operating system freaks. Since the operating system is brand new and I could not has possibly gotten a malware off of the internet the problem has got to be with the drive or the way the Genuine Intel motherboard interfaces with the drive. I have a number of drives in both PATA and SATA so maybe I should swap in another one before I button this up. The thing with these homebuilt PC's is that there always seems to be one more thing.

  • Re: Wanting to Run Windows Vista...HELP?
    ... | I want to upgrade to Windows Vista from Win xp pro. ... get a DX10 compatible video card; currently the nVidia based 8500 GT at ... since much larger drives have gotten so inexpensive (500 GByte hard drive ... money you would spend on upgrading to Vista from Windows XP Pro would be ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: WindowsUpdate Error 80070011 on every update
    ... Yes I do have multiple drives and dont think I have disabled admin rights ... but this was not the case so I use dynamic volumes with stripping. ... script to install doc/sets & program files to my stripped volume. ... Update for Windows Vista. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Chkdsk 4TB doesnt complete
    ... access over 2TB of space the drive has to use GPT instead of MBR and I must ... During a reboot when I trigger a check disk the ... disk checking is taking place before the GUI loads and before Windows Vista ... If I remove 2 of my drives from ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Autoplay does not work
    ... Yes this does refer to Windows Vista, but the same procedure should work or XP too. ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ... I have two DVD burner drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Need help with Unistalling Vista
    ... staying with Windows Vista as it is a far better operating system. ... right-click on your hard drive (under Disk Drives). ... Click on the blue Vista start button and then on the Computer ...