DVD-RW drive question

When you boot with the DVD disk inserted, you are reading it with the BIOS.
Windows may not see this.

Go to the Windows Device Manager to see if the DVD drive is enabled.

"RickyBobby" <nascar42@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#PKDum3GKHA.4004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How come this happens? I will be using Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium and it simply will not recognize any DVD that I put in the DVD drive. I hit restart and the same thing happens. Then I hit shut down and let it shut down and then restart it with the power button and the DVD-RW drive and any disc in it will be read perfectly.

This seems odd and disconcerting.

Thanks to anybody who knows what is what.

  • Re: DELL precision 530 and DVD drive
    ... to swop it for a DVD drive,however no matter what I try it will not see it a DVD drive,BIOS just says CDROM drive,and in windows it says DVD drive,but will not read DVDS just CDs. ... Tried various settings master,slave CS,different IDEs and another cable,3 different DVD drives and still the same. ... can you see the drive in windows device manager? ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Next silly Q, ktorrent this time.
    ... in the same dvd reader. ... According to diff, no diff. ... The bios does look at the disk, it just doesn't like what it ... I learned decades ago, that when I mix alcohol with a cold, its an instant ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Next silly Q, ktorrent this time.
    ... autoboot in the machine I was going to put it on. ... in the same dvd reader. ... The bios does look at the disk, it just doesn't like what it sees I guess. ... to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it; ...
    (Fedora)
  • About to embark on grand adventure system build
    ... The system has a nice new P6N MB, 2 SATA dvd writers (one which is Blu ... of memory and I plan to install Vista 64 SP1 Retail Ultimate. ... just in case my MB's bios is old and needs updated. ... newer bios and reboot then re-enter the bios config. ...
  • Re: Error installing Vista on New Homebuilt
    ... In the BIOS, I set the HDD I want to use as the boot device, then use during the reboot to select the DVD just to run Setup. ... My 2 DVD burners are both IDE, so I don't need SATA drivers during this initial phase. ... (I do need to install SATA drivers for my HDDs from a floppy when I'm installing WinXP, but not when installing Vista because it has drivers built in.) ...