Re: BSoD Problems

You may need a hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958867

You may also want to try the Driver Verifier tool:
Using the Driver Verifier Manager

1. Launch Verifier.EXE found at %systemroot%\System32\Verifier.exe

2. Select Create custom settings (for code developers) and click Next.

3. Then choose Select individual settings from a full list and click Next.

4. Enable all available options "except" Low resources simulation and click Next.

5. Then choose Select driver names from a list and click Next.

Note: I typically recommend checking "suspicious" driver such as recently updated or known problematic drivers. I would then check all non-Microsoft and unsigned drivers.

6. Make your selection and then click Next.

Note: If you have more than one physical hard disk specific which drive and click Next.

7. You must restart the computer for these changes to take effect.

If everything goes well you should get a system crash, and hopefully the dump file will provide you with more insight as to the "culprit" of the crash versus the "victim". If you're not already familiar with WinDBG visit http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx to get you started.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"someguy" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:03cf5fb491e93d35bc938f461ef15be1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Right, so I've signed onto these forums to try and get some help with a
BSoD problem I'm having. I've never had problems before, but since
returning from a weeks holiday I've been getting BSoD every so often. It
will sometimes happen randomly, but it will always happen when I try
playing Team Fortress 2. It could be when i load it or during the game
but it does happen.

I've got a program that lets me see my last BSoD and so I'll post what
it says below. Other than this, I have no idea at all about how to start
fixing this problem. I'm on Vista Home Premium 32bit, and the PC has
been perfect for about 6 months up until this problem. The screen says:

Code:
--------------------

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntkrnlpa.exe

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000a (0xfefa813f, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x820848ec)

*** ntkrnlpa.exe - Address 0x82057fb9 base at 0x8200a000 DateStamp 0x49e0199e

Any help is very much appreciated!
Thanks

--
someguy