Re: Cannot change drive letter via Disk management

Its is most likely an ownership issue as the XP drive is NTFS.

This solution is for XP, but the steps are the same in Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

--
David Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Krakapo" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4ece9866ee7411ca4150f83ef3739d4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All - XP PC died, taken the hard drive and placed into external USB cage
and plugged into Vista laptop. I cannot see it in My computer but under
disk management I can see it as a disk and a healthy operating
partition, but it has no drive letter and I am unable to change the
drive letter as the only option I have is the delete command. My
presumption is that as this was the master boot record on my XP PC, this
is the reason why I cannot change the drive letter? But I am unsure.

I have 90% of the data backed up on a seperate USB drive, but it's the
10% especially some recent video and photos that I want off the drive.

--
Krakapo

  • Re: hardrive works as external not when installed internally
    ... is that it assigns it a drive letter, ... Computer Management - Disk Management - as E and says Healthy Drive and ... formated either NTFS or FAT (it is formatted NTFS by the way and was ...
  • Hard Drive not showing in My Computer
    ... Also if it is not NTFS it ... you can use disk management to assign a drive letter. ... Device Manager says it ...
  • Re: Internal HD "NOT" Recognized by "My Computer" (This is an Add-On H
    ... Try assigning a drive letter in Disk Management. ... Vista Home Premium ... hide letters for drives other than itself! ...
  • Re: hard missing lett
    ... If you can see it in disk management, right click on the partition with the data (might say: 58.59 GB NTFS, healthy). ... Assign it a drive letter and voila. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Cant read a USB device
    ... Is it mapped to a drive letter already taken? ... No. I've got the following in Disk Management: ... EISA 31 MB partition ... NTFS 480GB partition ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)