Re: external harddisk problems

"TheDukeOff" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5dab30d1ae4aaec38a444ff329e1ed15@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

First I want to say that my English is not very good, I am sorry.
I have troubles with my external HDD (maxtor). I have the external HDD
since a few months and I used it without any problems with Microsoft XP
and Vista (32 bit). A few days ago I bought an new computer with vista
64 bit. And the external drive isn't detected when I start up the
computer, In "my computer" it show that it's an local station. When I
take the power plug from the external drive out and put it back in than
I shows up and I don't see local station anymore but the name
"multimedia"
But when I restart my computer I have the same problem and I must do it
all over.

Can you tell me what the problem is, do I need to download something??

Check your power options, device manager, usb root hub, power management, uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

When I take the power plug from the external drive out and put it back in than
I shows up

  • Re: Cant shut off power on my external HD
    ... The power off sometimes takes a minute, because the drive will continue to write from its cache even after 'Safely Remove'. ... I just did a clean install and now when I shut down my Western Digital 500 GB external HD through Safety Remove Hardware ... Are you certain that your WD external HDD actually powered off when the Safely Remove Hardware icon was clicked? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Oh, and by the way
    ... external HDD with an imac style mouse. ... I also enjoyed how the power button is hidden at the back, meaning it takes you 5 minutes to work out how to turn it on. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.modifications)
  • external harddisk problems
    ... I have troubles with my external HDD (maxtor). ... A few days ago I bought an new computer with vista ... I shows up and I don?t see local station anymore but the name ...