Re: Upgrade Processor

Yes you can. Vista should sort itself out and you should not have to reinstall or reactivate. Just simply shut down, change CPU and heatsink, make sure everything is connected (take the opportunity to do a good clean out!!!), turn on the PC and sit back for a few minutes. Any new drivers required, Vista will go get by itself.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"James DeLoach" <jasdel49@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ban675lcdv1dsr7j6a0q2a0l6m6rsh80s2@xxxxxxxxxx
Can I change my processor from a dual core to a quad core on
a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate
without having to re-install the my OS? Also, will replacing the
CPU trigger a call to Microsoft to revalidate. I'm thinking of
replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550
quad core.

James

  • Re: Upgrading sucks
    ... The thing the board lacks is SLI support, ... Correct on Quad Core & DDR3. ... Intel and the 8800GT were the obvious choices to me. ... One of the harder choices I made was between Vista and XP Pro. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Upgrade Processor
    ... a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate ... replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550 ... I don't know if Intel vs. AMD will make any difference, but I've changed out AMD CPU's twice and Vista was fine with it. ...
  • Re: G5 Macs obsolet!
    ... " Intel CEO Paul Otellini called Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer ... the Vista Capable sticker. ... because it had invested in pricier graphics chips to support Vista's ... for many of these machines is misleading to customers."" ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Hardware Upgrade for Windows Vista suggestions?
    ... Having been burned by some schlocky VIA chipsets, I too agree with your Intel/Intel stance for stability But, to avoid bugs: I wouldn't be waiting outside Fry's to buy the first copy of Vista: Vista is spanish for view, as in view of the many bugs it is going to ship with. ... Your 3.2 Ghz Intel is pretty damn fast--that's a good CPU. ... Since you would not be using two monitors to game, maybe keep the 6800 AGP for gaming, and add in a PCI card like this nVidia: ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Vista minimum requirements for processors
    ... Again, the issue isn't the processor, as any processor made and used in a new production laptop during 2006 is adequate to run any version of Vista. ... Then MS and Intel reversed course and said it wouldn't, because neither of them would write a WDDM driver for GMA900. ... equivalent when your processor is the M, Core Solo, Core Duo, Core 2 ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)