Re: Upgrade Processor

Why do you want to do this?
I would certainly rather have 2 3300 processors then 4 2490 processors since so that individual programs can run faster and I have no requirement to run 4 programs or program threads concurently.

"PvdG42" <pvdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e0wPtUiEKHA.1540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"James DeLoach" <jasdel49@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ban675lcdv1dsr7j6a0q2a0l6m6rsh80s2@xxxxxxxxxx
Can I change my processor from a dual core to a quad core on
a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate
without having to re-install the my OS? Also, will replacing the
CPU trigger a call to Microsoft to revalidate. I'm thinking of
replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550
quad core.

James

I don't know if Intel vs. AMD will make any difference, but I've changed out AMD CPU's twice and Vista was fine with it. The new CPU was recognized and no reactivation was required. One change was from dual core to quad, and one was quad to quad.

Note: this is with retail Vista, not OEM.

.