Re: Upgrade Processor

Why do you want to do this?
I would certainly rather have 2 3300 processors then 4 2490 processors since so that individual programs can run faster and I have no requirement to run 4 programs or program threads concurently.

"PvdG42" <pvdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e0wPtUiEKHA.1540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"James DeLoach" <jasdel49@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ban675lcdv1dsr7j6a0q2a0l6m6rsh80s2@xxxxxxxxxx
Can I change my processor from a dual core to a quad core on
a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate
without having to re-install the my OS? Also, will replacing the
CPU trigger a call to Microsoft to revalidate. I'm thinking of
replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550
quad core.

James

I don't know if Intel vs. AMD will make any difference, but I've changed out AMD CPU's twice and Vista was fine with it. The new CPU was recognized and no reactivation was required. One change was from dual core to quad, and one was quad to quad.

Note: this is with retail Vista, not OEM.

  • Re: Upgrading sucks
    ... The thing the board lacks is SLI support, ... Correct on Quad Core & DDR3. ... Intel and the 8800GT were the obvious choices to me. ... One of the harder choices I made was between Vista and XP Pro. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Upgrade Processor
    ... a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate ... replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550 ... I don't know if Intel vs. AMD will make any difference, but I've changed out AMD CPU's twice and Vista was fine with it. ...
  • Re: Upgrade Processor
    ... Vista should sort itself out and you should not have to reinstall or reactivate. ... Just simply shut down, change CPU and heatsink, make sure everything is connected, turn on the PC and sit back for a few minutes. ... a motherboard that supports quad core running vista 64 ultimate ... replacing my Intel E6600 dual core with an Intel Q9550 ...
  • Re: x64 Blue Screen
    ... Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU ... Windows XP Pro installs fine on it, ... Replacing the Quad with an E6300 means it runs fine. ... Now the memory is the obvious candidate, especially as the Intel site says this board doesnt support double sided DIMMs with a x16 layout, which is what these Kingston sticks are. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad
    ... Test results are in from the recently released Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad ... Perhaps the killer app for quad core for the masses will be Windows Vista. ... Last spring I was speculating that the Intel Quad would be THE chip to ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)