Re: Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

Nvidia is not responsible. If anybody is it is the manufacturer of the card containing the Nvidia chip.
The card vendors almost never release a driver update to replace the one that they shipped with the card to MS and MS Winupdate therefore does not provide correct updates.
I have seen a long post from an ex MS employee explaining this problem. The bottom line of his post was "never install a graphic card driver using WinUpdate" he stated that the same rule is also a good one for tuner card drivers.
I do not automatically updates but always look at the different updates that were downloaded and driver updates are always listed as optional.

"m0nk3y_sp8nk3r" <m0nk3y_sp8nk3r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C11A80FD-7CBB-4B7A-8870-1ED5D41BA77C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I Would agree that it is a windows update, therefore a microsoft, problem. I
bought my gateway computer in 2007 and I have had no problems until now
06/29/2009. The facts:
1. my computer ran perfect for 2 years with all of the nvidia drivers
released.

2. I neither knew about or installed the newest nvidia driver 186. * for
vista 32

3. My windows update is set to automatically install

4. The information seen while in the post portion of booting is not
displaying correctly

Conclusion:
The Nvidia corporation is not to blame for the current problems. Microsoft
is the source of the problem. Whatever hotfix was released near the end of
june caused the issues with the nvlddmkm.sys failure.

I see all of these posts with the BSOD, but no one that appears to have seen
the messed up words in the basic post(bios) boot screens. The update has
destroyed the bios in the MOBO or the EEPROM/gpu in the video card or has
destroyed the ram chips. I can now no longer even install windows: the
installation errs out with a memory problem and freezes. Watch your computer
when it boots, and see if the information normally displayed during post is
unreadable like it is on my computer. My observations lead my to conclude
that microsoft has sent a virus and knows that if this is discovered it will
cost them billions. My computer is completely dead at this point. I will most
likely have to replace MOBO, CPU, and/or RAM becuase of microsofts
negligence. Furthermore they likely know the fix. They have internal KB
documents that their employees have to sign non-disclosure agreements not to
reveal.They are not even allowed to tell you how to fix your problem (when
they are looking at the step by step fix) because then microsoft would be
liable for the damage they knowingly caused. The point is microsoft more than
likely knows the fix but would lose billions in law suits if they told you
the answer (thereby admitting there fault).

"Smilerfive" wrote:

I can confirm this is not a specific problem with Nvidia cards. I went out
and bought a new ATI graphics card because I could not afford to wait any
longer.

I immediately installed this card and my system immediately sprang into
life. And in the two hours it was working I managed to backup or otherwise
retrieve all my data.

The next I saw was a 'display driver stopped working' error in Vista, also
know as a TDR error, where timing between Vista and graphics card is lost
somehow. Basically this error appeared maybe 4 times then my system crashed
again with the same error BSOD 116 but with the ATI driver file instaed of
the nvidia driver.

THIS IS A VISTA UPDATE problem where my system has been corrupted by a
wayward Vista Update. SOmehow this is killing graphics systems...

I hope they fix it soon.... Vista is becoming unusable

"JW" wrote:

> It is a system file so be sure you have Show system files enabled.
> Mine is in C:\Users\JW {591eae36-caf9-4999-be96-827b1bc00499}
> and I found it using Windows Explorer Search
> It was created on 5/10/2007 and modified on 4/272007 so it was not part > of
> my original install
>

> "Smilerfive" <Smilerfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Which program file are you referring to? Can you be specific?
> >
> > I tried a few more things:
> >
> > Disabled UAC to see if driver was having problems with rights - no
> > success,
> > same BSOD on boot
> >
> > Downloaded and ran 'Driver Cleaner' from Guru3d which appeared to > > clean up
> > few stray Nvidia registry entries (I REALLY thought that was it > > fixed)
> > however, upon reinstalling Nvidia driver it crashed again on boot > > with
> > same
> > error.
> >
> > Downloaded and ran 'Nvidia - nasty file remover' again removed some > > known
> > nvidia files but again no success.
> >
> > Each time I am booting into safe mode, uninstalling nvidia driver
> > (deleting
> > files), rebooting to safe mode, scrubbing driver files and registry
> > entries,
> > rebooting to Vista normal and cancelling auto attempt to install > > driver
> > for
> > 7600GT (never install driver for this device). Then rebooting again > > to
> > windows normal and attempting to install latest official Nvidia > > drivers.
> > Same
> > BSOD nvlddmkm.sys at boot...
> >
> > I must have tried almost every driver/fault finding/troubleshooting
> > combination...
> >
> > This is driving (ha) me nuts!
> >

> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> I have one copy of the problem file in one of my system folders and > >> it
> >> appears that it came with the original install of Vista. Have you > >> tried
> >> renaming or deleting any copies of it on your system?
> >> Have you run check disk?
> >>
> >> "Smilerfive" <Smilerfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • RE: display problems - please help 2
    ... I have tried installing the driver again and it won't let me because of the ... I can feel another install coming on.. ... > I have bought a pny nvidia quadro fx500 and want to install it. ... > I have tried putting the card in the machine and everything went to pot. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Skjermkluss i Mandriva 2006
    ... skjermkort samt 19 tommers flatskjerm. ... NVidia driverne, endrer skjermfrekvensen seg fra 60 hertz til 75, og dette ... OpenGL install prefix: /usr ... -> The latest NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (version ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • RE: [SLE] Video problems -- new card, cant configure, Sax2 wont run (very long message, sorry)
    ... yes you should go ahead and dl the nvidia driver from the nvidia ... Video problems -- new card, can't configure, Sax2 won't run ... and monitor configuration screens within the control center are not ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 73, Issue 98
    ... If you want inetd, install it. ... The generic driver in 10.04 now gives me 1024x768, ... "NVIDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER " I can tweak all ... conclusion that the PSU probably lies at the root of my trouble: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Another "What Motherboard Should I Buy" question
    ... If I've got two or three torrents downloading and some other process running in the background, I may wait 20 or 30 seconds for the window to open. ... I think it may be the generic OS Radeon driver. ... Firewire ports for my video camera (PCI card is okay here) ... since nVidia has native Linux drivers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)