Re: bootable memory stick?

AFAIK if you have a HDD or equivalent that your MOBO bios will recognize at boot time over a USB interface as a bootable device then you should be able to install on it,
The problem is that very few MOBO BIOS have this support,

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Ocxv6j$0JHA.4116@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That is NOT installing Vista on a USB memory stick - at all! All you're doing is placing the install files on a memory stick.

Note to OP. You can not install Vista on a memory stick, or any other USB connected drive and have a bootable operating system.

Vista must be installed to an internal hard drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Brink" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2d38e6399051e91079aa6e1ff8ce79da@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Propman,

This can show you how to create one with Vista. You can use a Vista ISO
or XP ISO file to create one using OPTION ONE.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181538-usb-bootable-vista-installation-flash-thumb-drive.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

propman;1042649 Wrote:
Howdy all.....:-)

Looking for any information on prefered method for installing XP and/or
Vista *to* a USB (8 gig) memory stick. The stick is to be used for
troubleshooting purposes (ie booting up and scanning inoperative
systems).

Any pointers, url's etc would be most appreciated....thanks!

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*

  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...
  • Re: bootable memory stick?
    ... this was the Vista groups.. ... USB devices, but with XP it can be done, using kludges ... install to or boot fromone, as they all reset the USB controllers during ... device, be it a memory stick, USB HD or a memory card in a card reader... ...
  • USB/PS2 mouse and keyboard not working/locks up
    ... Vista32, new driver? ... here I may be victim of USB problem, though I've been running fine since ... Have tried System Restore off Vista install disk, ...
  • Re: Kyocera 7135 and usb hotsync?
    ... and run Windows Vista. ... the Kyocera Palm desktop app, and I believe I picked Palm vX from ... Is there something I need to do to enable hotsync via USB? ... During install it did ask if I want to sync with Serial or USB, ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Problems with Touchpad,keyboard and USB after Ideacom update (solu
    ... and keyboard .I have made fresh install of XP Home and have all updated ... recomended update from Driver detective,that i use offten. ... allready and when i do this it knocks off my USB mouse leaving me not able to ... 2.Mutil-Access driver HCT driver verify crash fix! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)