bootable memory stick?

Howdy all.....:-)

Looking for any information on prefered method for installing XP and/or Vista *to* a USB (8 gig) memory stick. The stick is to be used for troubleshooting purposes (ie booting up and scanning inoperative systems).

Any pointers, url's etc would be most appreciated....thanks!

  • Re: usb and too much memory?
    ... Sure enough, when I take out the extra gig of memory, ... the scanner starts working and the boot time USB errors ... is only the x86_64 kernel that has USB troubles. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: bootable memory stick?
    ... this was the Vista groups.. ... USB devices, but with XP it can be done, using kludges ... install to or boot fromone, as they all reset the USB controllers during ... device, be it a memory stick, USB HD or a memory card in a card reader... ...
  • Re: Why does 4GB RAM only show as 3GB?
    ... I have a Compaq laptop with 2 gig of memory running Vista 32 bit. ... on-board video uses 256 meg of system memory. ...
  • Re: A8N-E, 3gig memory, and usb?
    ... my 2 1 gig sticks to get RMAed. ... decided to put all 4 sticks of memory in the system. ... complaining about USB devices not responding and the ... than to change BIOS versions. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: bootable memory stick?
    ... That is NOT installing Vista on a USB memory stick - at all! ... All you're doing is placing the install files on a memory stick. ... You can not install Vista on a memory stick, or any other USB connected drive and have a bootable operating system. ...