Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

I have an MP780 attached directly to my Vista Ultimate box and I'm trying to get the FAX function going as the FAX software that came with the 780 is not Vista-compatible. I have full scan, copy and print functionality, and it appears that Vista recognizes the 780 FAX functionality because I was able to add "Canon MP780 FAX" as a device in Control Panel->Printers. It shows as ready.

OTOH, Windows FAX and Scan appears not to see the 780 FAX as either a local (which I think would be correct as the 780 is physically connected to the box via USB and also connected to a phone jack) or a network FAX device. If I connect the 780 to an XP box, using the Canon-supplied software, I have no issues sending FAXes.

So, what am I missing here? Seems odd that Vista can see it, but the FAX & Scan applet cannot.

Any insights or advice gratefully welcomed, except suggestions that I switch to Linux, downgrade to XP or buy a new multi-function device.
Why? 'Cause I'm a cheapskate and the 780 performance is great and the non-chip ink cartridges are cheap compared to the newer ones. All printing, photo work, copying and scanning is fine. I'm gonna use it until it falls apart :-)

TIA!

  • Re: fax/scan for Vista Home Premium
    ... I stated I had a fax server and could not use it in Vista Home ... Microsoft has decided that the average home user would not need the ... "Windows Fax and Scan" functionality is ONLY ...
  • Re: fax/scan for Vista Home Premium
    ... I stated I had a fax server and could not use it in Vista Home ... They are monitizing functionality. ...
  • Re: fax/scan for Vista Home Premium
    ... The thread was about AIO devices and their party software. ... The removal of fax from less expensive versions of Vista has been covered ad nauseum here and is beyond being a dead horse. ... Microsoft took nothing away from you. ... "Windows Fax and Scan" functionality is>>> ONLY ...
  • Re: Windows Vista - SP2 - What functionality is removed this time?
    ... Going from XP to Vista the reduced functions are a mile long including ... taking away ability to put My Documents and not whole profile on desktop ... Going from Vista to Vista SP1 even more functionality was removed ... Clearly you are not happy with Vista and the direction that Microsoft is ...
  • Re: Will Windows 7 be visually similar to Vista?
    ... It may be that Maxthon 1.6.x can be installed in Vista and work ... way they have compounded the functionality of that "address bar ... for experienced or power users. ...