Re: vista memory upgrade

"bandahanson" wrote in message news:ujAcn4nIJHA.468@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have never had a problem like this before. I purchased an hp laptop for my wife with vista installed. After several months she told me how slow it was so I decided to upgrade to two gig. I purchased crucial memory and installed. Since then it has been nothing short of a nightmare. The machine will suddenly stop booting, then it will magically boot again then it will stop. It is not the hard drive because when this happens if I pop my XP boot disk it still will not boot. I discussed this with crucial and they sent me a new upgrade kit. It worked for a couple of days and now I am right back where I started. Is there something that needs to be done to vista or am I totally in the wrong forum. Forgive me if that is the case.

One thing you can do to check the memory itself is to download and run good memory testing software such as MemTest86 to see if the memory itself is reliable.

http://www.memtest86.com/

  • NN General Assembly - Tractors versus Bugs
    ... > It has many things to do with why Windows doesn't release memory. ... I will not upgrade to vista... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Event Viewer - "unexpected shutdowns"
    ... be advised I ran the 'repair' options within the last two weeks a few times by booting from the Vista CD. ... The memory diagnostic tool ran cleanly - as reported during the test and after the reboot - nothing to report. ... The attempted chkdsk from the command prompt reported that I did not have the privilege & advised I had to run in 'elevated mode' - I had never heard or read such a term & have been a PC enthusiast since Windows 3.0 from 1990. ... PS - I should add that upon rebooting after an unexpected shutdown - Vista asks if Safe Mode is desired during rebooting. ...
  • Re: Event Viewer - "unexpected shutdowns"
    ... be advised I ran the 'repair' options within the last two weeks a few times by booting from the Vista CD. ... The memory diagnostic tool ran cleanly - as reported during the test and after the reboot - nothing to report. ... The attempted chkdsk from the command prompt reported that I did not have the privilege & advised I had to run in 'elevated mode' - I had never heard or read such a term & have been a PC enthusiast since Windows 3.0 from 1990. ... PS - I should add that upon rebooting after an unexpected shutdown - Vista asks if Safe Mode is desired during rebooting. ...
  • Re: Looking for motherboard to provide multi year timeframe
    ... We added an additional case fan on all of our machines. ... Being able to upgrade processors is very important. ... Ability to upgrade memory. ... XP, it will be enough to run Vista, and you can easily double it < or ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: 3GB in 2 DIMM slots!
    ... The best answer is to install a second IDENTICAL 2GB stick. ... RAM, so the extra RAM should not be wasted. ... And if I do go to 4GB, can't Vista allocate the video memory from the ...