DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

Hello everyone,

After I did some cleanup & maintenance, my Vista (Business) computer could no longer see my DVD/CD-ROM drive.

The "device manager" utility gives me this error message (even after trying to update the driver):

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

The cleanup & maintenance that I did was: Uninstall a program that calibrates the monitor (HP display assistant), updated my Flash player, uninstalled a Dell printer driver, and run a virus check.

Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide.

Peter

=============
Here's what I tried
* I looked at all the disabled services in the "services console". I don't see how those services can affect the DVD drive. The disabled services are: "DNS client", "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)", "Net TCP Port Sharing Service", "Routing and Remote Access", "Virtual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger".
* I tried the "system restore" but it had no effect.
System Information
* The drive is an "ATAPI DVD C DH48C2S"
* I am running Windows Vista Business on an HP workstation

.