DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

Hello everyone,

After I did some cleanup & maintenance, my Vista (Business) computer could no longer see my DVD/CD-ROM drive.

The "device manager" utility gives me this error message (even after trying to update the driver):

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

The cleanup & maintenance that I did was: Uninstall a program that calibrates the monitor (HP display assistant), updated my Flash player, uninstalled a Dell printer driver, and run a virus check.

Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide.

Peter

=============
Here's what I tried
=============
* I looked at all the disabled services in the "services console". I don't see how those services can affect the DVD drive. The disabled services are: "DNS client", "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)", "Net TCP Port Sharing Service", "Routing and Remote Access", "Virtual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger".
* I tried the "system restore" but it had no effect.
==============
System Information
==============
* The drive is an "ATAPI DVD C DH48C2S"
* I am running Windows Vista Business on an HP workstation

  • Re: i uninstalled my sound device, HELP!
    ... Do you see it if you run Device Manager and select View:Show Hidden Devices? ... which sucks) and tried to find out which device wasn't working, since vista ... and it said there was a problem with the driver. ... i thought i was uninstalling the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • i uninstalled my sound device, HELP!
    ... so i went to the device manager (i have vista, ... which sucks) and tried to find out which device wasn't working, since vista ... and it said there was a problem with the driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: WD MyBook 250 Gb external HD
    ... It tried to install a driver, but said that having found one, it could not install as "an interactive window station is required for this operation". ... I have no idea what that is about, but I get the same message when I try to load a driver for a USB flash drive I'm trying to use. ... If Vista doesn't see it, boot again into your bios setup, and make sure the bios sees it. ... It is probably there alright, and working fine but has no drive letter, if Device Manager can see it. ...
  • Re: Problems loading my WDM driver in Vista RC2
    ... "Safe Mode" to disable my driver in the Device ... Manager and then restart Vista. ... from the Device Manager. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev)
  • asus a8v-vm se mobo
    ... If u are trying to install vista or win7 it is not compatiable OS. ... it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace, ... Re: vista sound driver problem ... starts the installation, and choose Properties. ...