Dual head video card requires both mon turned on during boot

Many video card with with two outputs have a bad habbit of disabling one of the output if the attached monitor is off during boot. I use one monitor most of the time and want to use two occasionally. To have to turn on both during boot is a pain.

In win XP, this problem can sometimes be overcome by choosing generic SVGA instead of PnP monitor.

Now, I'm running vista and this trick doesn't work. I'm using an old Geforce4 440 MX card with microsoft driver.

Is there another solution to this problem?
If I buy a new card (also with 2 outputs), is there some card that comes without this problem?

Or, is there a fake monitor simulator that I can plug in the video port between my monitor and the computer so it thinks the monitor is on?

.