Dual head video card requires both mon turned on during boot

Many video card with with two outputs have a bad habbit of disabling one of the output if the attached monitor is off during boot. I use one monitor most of the time and want to use two occasionally. To have to turn on both during boot is a pain.

In win XP, this problem can sometimes be overcome by choosing generic SVGA instead of PnP monitor.

Now, I'm running vista and this trick doesn't work. I'm using an old Geforce4 440 MX card with microsoft driver.

Is there another solution to this problem?
If I buy a new card (also with 2 outputs), is there some card that comes without this problem?

Or, is there a fake monitor simulator that I can plug in the video port between my monitor and the computer so it thinks the monitor is on?

  • Re: computer randomly restarts
    ... The second part sounds like the BIOS are not initializing the Video card, ... thus no light on the monitor. ... I've seen several causes, from a loose video card, loose RAM chip, loose ... got so it would boot one out of 5 tries, then freeze within a few minutes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dead G5 Help
    ... We then took the machine (without the monitor, which is powered by the G5) to a local repair shop. ... Wouldn't boot. ... He swapped RAM, video card from his G5, no luck, dead. ... I'd try a "proven cable" on BOTH ports (I'm assuming the video card has both VGA and digital connections). ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Black Screen Mystery
    ... XP Pro and Chaintech PCI Express video card. ... I tried to boot the monitor did not come on. ... Not this time just an amber light. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Pulling my hair our !
    ... have also tried a cheapie ATI card. ... You have bent a pin on the monitor cable's connector. ... extra cards and drives (both data and power cables). ... With just one stick of RAM, the CPU with heatsink/fan, and the video card ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Black Screen Mystery