Why doens't ATI post new drivers to Windows Update/ Update Catalog

When you use Device Manager to check for a new ATI driver, in this
case for an x1600 Pro, Windows Update reports the latest version is
installed version 8.391.0.0 dated 6/26/2007.

But according to ATI's Web site, the latest version is 8.9.

Why doesn't ATI push the latest driver to Windows Update -- so it
would be easy for everyone to make sure they have the latest driver --
and to easily install it?

  • Re: P4P800 deluxe sound card
    ... I surrender and shall install a pci card. ... My P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard has the AD1985 sound chip. ... Next, I typed "Windows Update" in the program box, and started that up. ... Well, one of the settings for Windows Update, controls driver installation. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: NVIDIA RAID Class Controller Update
    ... Disk 1, Basic, 596.16 GB, with a status of Online. ... Does anyone have a source for an NVIDIA RAID Class Controller driver ... we realize that taking the drivers from windows update ... It will continually try to install this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: WIndows Repair ?
    ... Be aware that once the repair install is done all updates/patches/hotfixes ... > A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem; ... > manufacturer's product support service for assistance. ... > * Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update ...
  • Re: Cant connect to Internet and e-mail.
    ... The Start bar Wireless icon has a small yellow dot moving back ... to have Windows install a driver from Windows Update. ... purpose or by mistakenly accepting this from Windows Update. ...
  • Re: Driver Updates
    ... That warning cannot be removed. ... I have installed a later driver than the one that windows update insists is ... WU can't see that there is a newer driver already installed. ... Nvidia drivers and Windows Update wants to install 52.16. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)