"LVTravel" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23BeXK1rGJHA.3928@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"David Halpern" <nanophotonic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xaedna1jJZMjhUnVnZ2dnUVZ_q3inZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"LVTravel" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uLu3yPgGJHA.456@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"David Halpern" <nanophotonic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FI2dnaWI2sxjdE_VnZ2dnUVZ_rjinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WD is telling that even the PCB's on two HD's right next
to each other are not the same PCB's no uniformity.

Can I even believe this stuff? lol

I would like to replace the PCB and motor if I can.

Thanks all,

D.H.

Yep, they are right. There can be configuration changes in PCBs on
hard drives at any time. The model numbers or part numbers on the
drives may give you a clue to the PCBs interchangeability but it isn't
guaranteed. I have had two WD drives, same amount of space but two
different looking PCBs as they were made 6 months apart. Same thing
with Samsung and Seagate over the years.

Well I appreciate that.
Is there any way I could get the PCB replaced
and repair the drive?

Thanks,

D.H.

There are data recovery services that can do the job but they are
expensive. While it doesn't take a lot of skill to pull the PCB and
replace it the motor may be a different issue as IIRC the drive would
have to be opened. I haven't opened one in years but back in the day of
the old MFM & RLL drives the motor was directly attached to the spindle
that the platters were applied to. To get the motor out the heads and
then the platters had to be removed.

Now, since I have answered you questions to the best of my ability,
please answer this for me: Why do you think the PCB or motor has failed
on a drive? There are faults that can happen to a drive where spinning
up the platters with a new motor would trash the platters in the drive.

Hopefully you have a backup of any data needed from the drive. If not
when, and if, the data is recovered, hopefully you will institute a
proper data backup system.

Remember, it is NOT if a drive will fail, but when!

Actually LV I was hoping to backup my data
on the new 500 GB HD I just bought.

But last week I was up all night and stressed out and
at like 4 AM I tried to install a RAM DIMM
while my computer was on and it crashed and fried
the drive.

The data was documents, emails, pictures,
and bookmarks for this book I am writing
mainly the bookmarks were and a few
of the documents.

No one can get it working now. lol

D.H.

If you plugged in a RAM module with the computer on, it is hard to tell what
you fried, including the Motherboard, power supply, processor, etc as well
as the hard drive.

Have you tried to put the drive as a slave drive into another computer or a
USB hard drive enclosure and attach it to another working computer? If not,
that is the next step. For the protection of the other computer I would
recommend using the USB enclosure. I once had one working IDE drive fried
when I connected another drive that I had bought brand new, that I later
found out had a blown resistor on the PCB because someone had hooked it up
wrong on a computer and then returned it to the place of purchase. They
re-shrink-wrapped the drive and sold it as new. They ended up having to
replace both drives (thanks to a good backup at the time.)

  • Re: Western Digital & Data Recovery
    ... I would like to replace the PCB and motor if I can. ... The model numbers or part numbers on the drives may give you a clue to the PCBs interchangeability but it isn't guaranteed. ... While it doesn't take a lot of skill to pull the PCB and replace it the motor may be a different issue as IIRC the drive would have to be opened. ... I haven't opened one in years but back in the day of the old MFM & RLL drives the motor was directly attached to the spindle that the platters were applied to. ...
  • Re: Western Digital & Data Recovery
    ... "David Halpern" wrote in message ... I would like to replace the PCB and motor if I can. ... The model numbers or part numbers on the drives may give you a clue to the PCBs interchangeability but it isn't guaranteed. ... While it doesn't take a lot of skill to pull the PCB and replace it the motor may be a different issue as IIRC the drive would have to be opened. ...
  • Re: Samsung 2TB drive not detected
    ... So it's possible the PCB didn't get the air cooling it needed. ... Those Samsung green drives don't get very warm with no cooling airflow at all. ... pad on the drive body that contact pads on the PCB must press against. ... torque required by the motor thusly less surge current. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Samsung 2TB drive not detected
    ... So it's possible the PCB didn't get the air cooling it needed. ... pad on the drive body that contact pads on the PCB must press against. ... So do you power off your computer and power it up only when you are at ... with WDC green drives, keep powering off and on all the time for what ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Western Digital & Data Recovery
    ... I would like to replace the PCB and motor if I can. ... The model numbers or part numbers on the drives may ... To get the motor out the heads and then the platters had to be ...