RE: Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive

"goorambatman" wrote:

When I go to safely eject my External hard drive I always get the following
error:

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use.
Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try
again later.

It is a ST332062 0A USB Device (Seagate NTFS) in a Xcraft Cooler Master case.

It doesn't have this problems on other people's computers. This computer
successfully ejects other external media.

The activity light doesn't flash when I am not browsing it so I don't think
any background software is using it.

Perhaps Windows needs enhancement in this area, like the ability to detect
and list what applications are accessing the hard drive and the ability to
force the drive to eject as I am going to un-plug it anyway.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, why can't I eject this drive ever?

  • Cant safely Eject External Hard Drive
    ... When I go to safely eject my External hard drive I always get the following ... Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device ... Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use. ... Perhaps Windows needs enhancement in this area, like the ability to detect ...
  • Re: How will PatchGuard change kernel programming?
    ... Those that would trade liberty for safety deserve niether. ... To draw a similarly absurd analogy, if I had the ability to ... Early versions of Windows were very open -- programs shared memory ... Does that mean that we remove the right to drive from everyone because some use thier cars to break the laws (speeding, hit & run, bank robbery, etc.)? ...
  • Re: XP SP3 On-going crashes
    ... you have the ability to initiate ... is to test windows in safe mode. ... Database Developer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Writing UDF Formatted Disks with Hard Links and Symbolic Links
    ... Windows 98/Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP all include the ability to read ... yet support writing UDF formatted disks. ... have looked at so far appear to have the ability to create hard links and/or ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Forwarding mail using kmail
    ... Windows handles email perfectly with pictures and the ability to edit your HTML email with the ability to cut and paste HTML email without losing the formating. ...
    (KDE)