RE: Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive
- From: billr7 <billr7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:28:10 -0700
When I go to safely eject my External hard drive I always get the following.
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use.
Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try
It is a ST332062 0A USB Device (Seagate NTFS) in a Xcraft Cooler Master case.
It doesn't have this problems on other people's computers. This computer
successfully ejects other external media.
The activity light doesn't flash when I am not browsing it so I don't think
any background software is using it.
Perhaps Windows needs enhancement in this area, like the ability to detect
and list what applications are accessing the hard drive and the ability to
force the drive to eject as I am going to un-plug it anyway.
My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, why can't I eject this drive ever?
- Prev by Date: Re: Vista Business x64 acting strange after RAM upgrade
- Next by Date: RE: What is the latest Vista LifeCam software?
- Previous by thread: Must hold keys down to type
- Next by thread: Device Manager