Re: Vista x64 will not boot with 4GB of RAM

Some motherboard/ram combinations require either higher ram voltage or lower ram speed when running 4 ram modules. Try some adjustments in the bios and see if it helps. You can check the ram ratings for its max specified voltage. If it's higher speed ram, it might well support higher than the default voltage.

"scmiles" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:cddbc1af3820e1779cfce63c2eb4ad35@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+
4 x 1GB DDR
nVidia nForce version 4 SLI 16 AMD

BIOS is latest from Asus.

After I enable the memory remap (hole) switch, the BIOS will see 4096MB
of RAM, but windows will never boot. It gets to the scrolling icon
screen for awhile then reboots. Also, safe mode will not boot.

I disable the memory remap and Vista will boot and show 2.5 GB of RAM.

  • Re: Continuous beeping and Machine_check_exception STOP:A 0X0000009C
    ... When I couldn't get the ram to work in slots 1 and 2 due to continuous beeping, I moved to slots 3 & 4. ... I tried to do a windows xp repair but I can't get the system to boot from anything but the hard drive. ... I have tried resetting the bios and hitting f12 while booting. ... Before installing or using any high level OS, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PXE - Remote Boot with 2 PXE network cards
    ... > the RAM but the load progress bar is totally blank after about 1.5 ... At the end of the sdi transfer (when the load progress bar is ... > that in the second case, the boot stops after the SDI loading. ... > Could it be a BIOS problem or the role of the BIOS is before this step ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Making a L440GX+ work (was "Trying to revive a server... AIC-7896 freezes pre-POST compl
    ... You should be able to update the BIOS from a floppy or cd-rom boot disk. ... The general rule with ram is you can run faster ram than you need, just usually wastes money that faster RAM costs. ... That jumper should reset the BIOS to factory defaults to allow it to get through the post and into setup. ... I know this isn't a FreeBSD question really, but I just started up a motherboard with onboard SCSI, and for some odd reason it freezes pre-POST before it attempts to boot and there isn't any way where I can get into the BIOS to change the settings it seems. ...
    (freebsd-questions)