Re: can't format my external hard drive

Connect the old drive up directly to a M/B port (IDE/SATA) on your new computer. Can you work with it from there? If not, the drive is likely bad.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"hbob16" <hbob16.3fjg7d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hbob16.3fjg7d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I looked at some of the other posts and didn't find any solution for my
current problem, so here it is:
My XP computer has recently decided to give up (i think the motherboard
is bad), so I bought a new HP desktop that comes with Vista. I pulled
out my old XP hard drive (which is partitioned into 2 virtual drives)
and want to use it as an external disk. I used an external usb enclosure
and pulled all my data off the drive (note the disk is working properly,
no issues). By using the Vista Disk Management tool I was able to remove
all the volumes and delete all the partitions (I was trying to merge it
back into 1 disk). Now I have 1 memory chuck labeled as primary drive.
When I try to format that drive I get an error saying something along
the line of formatting was not completely or not successful.
Has anyone had this issue before? I have a Hitachi drive, but as I've
mentioned it was working with Vista before I decided to unpartition and
delete all the volumes. It does show up as a drive in my computer but
since it is not formatted successfully I can't use it. I tried to do the
quick format as well as the full format.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

--
hbob16
hbob16's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/hbob16.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Upgrading system to 3.51 / Kernel and OS sources / Virtual environment
    ... It could be oxidized connections in the power supply to system ... and the 3B1 system can format both styles. ... The hard disk can probably be reformatted and a new OS installed ... All the drives are MFM drives, ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: OT - Dabs USB hard drive - advice please
    ... > USB "hard drives" are flash memory devices ... They use ordinary 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch hard disk drives ... > Microsoftian file format of VFAT. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Drive D is suddenly "not formatted"
    ... Disk Management format and check the clusters. ... and not to my internal hard drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Transfer 32 bit to 64 bit - new drive
    ... Remove your old HDD and install the new one. ... HDD and install Vista x64 there. ... Disk Management should now show Drive C: ... you can use Drive Management to delete and/or reformat the former Drives C: ...
  • Re: Adding memory
    ... Formatting needs a partition to format first. ... Disk manager will do ... Now you must partition and format your new drive. ... where secondary drives are involved ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)