Cannot install printers

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop on which I have installed a full range
of software applications. Once installed I then used Acronis True Home
Image to back up disk, partititons, operating system the lot! Only then
did I discover that I for some reason I cannot install any printers -
all attempts to do so fail whether local, network, drivers from CD,
drivers downloaded, automatically or manually. On every occasion I get
the error 0x00000002.

I have also attempted to install software995 which installs a printer
driver to output to PDF also without success.

Dell support only suggestion is to reinstall Vista but this would
involve me losing and having to reinstall all applications. My well
thought out backup fails because it seems I backed up a faulty windows
installation.

Anybody any suggestions? (Please...)

--
daybase