Change default "open with" back to NOTHING?

Vista Enterprise SP1

I clicked on a certain file (extension .frm) and got the dialog asking
whether I wanted to open using a web service or choose from a list of
programs. I chose the list of programs. I forgot to uncheck the
checkbox, so now Acrobat Reader is permanently(?) the default double-
click open-with program for this extension.

I know how to change it to any other program, but is it possible to
restore everything to its pristine state such that there is no default
open-with program for this extension? In other words, how can I
uncheck that checkbox and make it stick?

(I recall asking this years ago with Windows 98. Why is the checkbox
pre-checked??? It should be left unchecked by default. Stupid.)

Thanks.

  • Re: Change default "open with" back to NOTHING?
    ... This site has a way to either gray out the checkbox or remove it ... entirely, via registry changes. ... I clicked on a certain file (extension .frm) and got the dialog asking ... uncheck that checkbox and make it stick? ...
  • Re: my "hide extension ..."does not work
    ... and uncheck the"hise extension "and press ok,it does not work and i can ... not change my type file with rename them,when i back to folder option i ... uncheck it again and again. ... The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things ...
  • Re: How do i prevent the checkbox in "Always use the selected pro.
    ... > See if creating the file extension (and not associating the extension with ... >> and NOT having to uncheck the checkbox each time? ... >> registry somehow? ... >> Kind regards, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Can you auto reject email from addresses not in contact list?
    ... > This will highlight them all. ... Thanks By the way I figured out a way to capture all (and ... Choose the "txt" extension ... Uncheck all the fields except "E-mail address" ...
  • my "hide extension ..."does not work
    ... i have so bad problem with my vista windows,when i go to folder option ... and uncheck the"hise extension "and press ok,it does not work and i can ... not change my type file with rename them,when i back to folder option i ... uncheck it again and again. ...