Re: Using an XP printer on Vista

From: "Steve Freides" <steve@xxxxxxxx>

| We have a well-working XP network at home, all XP/Pro.

| My son now has a Vista laptop, and we can find our two printers, both
| connected to my workstation, but when it comes time to actually install
| drivers, etc., the installation fails and says it can't communicate with
| the printers.

| Suggestions appreciated. The XP machines run AVG 9 free, Spybot, and
| Spyware Blaster. The Vista machine runs AVG 9.

| Thanks in advance.

| -S-

As an alternative to what was already replied...

You may think about netork Print Servers such as the HP JetDirect series. Then the
printers are connected to the HP JetDirects directly connected to the local area network.
Then both the WinXP and Vista computers (or others) would print to the printers directly
to the IP address of the repective Print Servers.

Advantages:
- No worries about user "priveledges"
- A computer does not have to be up and running to share the printer, only the Print
Server.

Disadvantages:
- Physically connecting the Print Servers to the Ethernet network or via WiFi (there are
WiFi print servers).
- Cost of the added equipment (there are other brands than HP for Print Servers that may
be less expensive but HP is the best).

--
Dave

  • Re: SBS 2003 R2 Printer problems
    ... The only part of "networked all in one printers" that is really useable is the printing part. ... Faxing and Scanning are not really useable unless the manufacturer provides an application that puts some intelligence on the network so that you can scan to a desktop or an email address and/or can fax out from your desktop. ... The entry level devices, usually USB, are for personal use, not network use. ... print servers that will not install because they are not capatable with SBS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Unable to share files and printers between Vista and XP
    ... Was able to share files on 3 XP PCs and Share Printers on XP PCs. ... Vista Laptop no longer able to see other XP File Shares and Printers. ... Vista network center shows network to be private - Check! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP & Vista Printer Share Problems
    ... visible to Vista. ... environment as a private network. ... Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running ... The HP and Canon printers are on separate XP machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: XP Pro Workstations
    ... an add-on network box is an alternative. ... Use the TCP/IP or LPR printing ... password changes (which is always an issue with peer-shared printers, ... Print servers are pretty ...
  • Re: Print Server over dial up network
    ... I have a simple network ... > Jetdirect 170X print servers. ... that computer is also running Windows XP Home. ... they can set up local printers. ...