Re: Best drive for DVD REW

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:23:23 -0400, Tim Slattery wrote:

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:18:08 +1000, eXistenZ wrote:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Service Pack 2
Single user
--------------
Current drive is B
Is this OK or should I change it to
another drive letter?

Any help or advice appreciated
eXistenZ

It shouldn't be B:, which normally means a floppy disk drive.

Well yeah, but how many computers still have floppy drives? A: and B:
normally aren't used anymore, but there's no reason they shouldn't be.
If this setup works for OP, I don't see any reason why he should fix
it.

Why not just let Windows assign it?

Always a good idea.

If this works for the OP, why is he asking? Just asking :-)

At least you gave some advice to the OP, rather than limiting your
remarks to criticism of what I said ;-)

I have a floppy disk drive, and I have used it in the last few months.
It was needed to install drivers during the creation of a boot CD for a
BU program called Casper, and it wasn't used during a regular Windows
session, so the above discussion is moot in this case.

Not only that, the driver installation didn't work. That's part of a
long story that made me stop recommending Casper, based on the failure
of the standard boot CD on my computer, and the support team (one
person, AFAICT) thrusting the problem onto me to solve. OK, he really
didn't thrust it onto me: because he gave no useful help for the
problem, I just took it on myself - and failed :-)

BTW, the floppy drive worked fine, I just couldn't track down drivers
that worked :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
.