Re: How to fix MBR for Vista

I tried renaming winload.exe, but I saw no error message. Renaming bootmgr did not help to find problem either. I see only black screen.
MBR doesn't seem to be transferring control to boot loader on partition 1. I tired bootrec /fixmbr and also easybcd to fix MBR with no luck.
It is interesting that bootmgr and other files are from 04/09/2009 (perhaps release of SP2?) and my original Vista DVD is from 2/12/2007.
Maybe SP2 updated MBR and bootmgr and the old DVD simply cannot create correct MBR to transfer control. I started examining MBR and partition 1 (my C: drive) starts at offset 1048576 as it should.
Is there a way to debug MBR loading and executing (like when you do kernel debugging on OS)?

"Andy" <1@xxx> wrote in message news:sd7ft5h0u0p7ae812st5hot9eivsdbplb4@xxxxxxxxxx
Delete or rename bootmgr and boot up. If you don't see the boot
manager missing error, then either the boot sector is bad or the MBR
isn't transferring control to the boot sector. If you see the error,
then bootmgr is bad.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 03:08:26 -0700, "Robert Janik"