Re: Full Screen

Thanks for the additional info!

--Bill

"Andrew McLaren" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23fBX%23b53KHA.5588@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Bill,

The options are very limited - DosBox may be the best(and perhaps, the
only).

Vista uses a new video driver model (so-called "WDDM") which allows the
fancy composition displays in Vista. The Windows developers explicitly
dropped support for the full-screen VGA Mode, in the WDDM code. There were
considerable technical problems in making that full-screen mode work in
the new WDDM regime, and it was deemed "not worth it" for the small number
of user scenarios where character-mode apps needed to run full-screen on a
Vista machine. This issue was reported several times during the Vista Beta
programme.

Dedicated devices like POS cash registers generally run Windows Embedded,
not Vista; so they didn't count.

Regards

Andrew
--