Re: How do I

chyron wrote:

Ok...it's not a big deal, it's just annoying me. Vista Premium does not
have a fax program...so I tried to add Bitware to the system. (I recall
using it on Win98) But as you probably figured, it didn't work. So I
wanted to delete it, and was told by Vista, I didn't have the privilages
to do so! That got me upset, so I wanted it off even more! I then opened
it up, and one by one deleted every file there except one..."bwprnmon"...
an application file, but Vista won't let me get rid of it. Now it's only
53 KB, it's not doing anything wrong to my computer, I "can" just leave it
there, but it just kind of pissed me off that I couldn't get rid of it:-)

I expect the file is in Program Files, which is a protected directory in
Vista. Deleting files the way you did instead of using the Programs &
Features uninstall probably is what caused the issue. I've never had a
problem deleting things from Program Files while in an administrative user
account, so it may also be that the program has hooked itself into the
graphical user interface.

Log into an account with administrative privileges. Some things to try from
there:

a. Right-click on the file and take ownership of it. Attempt to delete it.

b. If that fails, see if you can rename it and then delete it.

c. If that fails, make a note of the path to the file; i.e., C:\Program
Files\foldername\filename. Now start Task Manager. From the Processes tab,
kill explorer.exe. Now from the Programs tab click the button for "New
Task". Choose cmd to get a command prompt (do not close Task Manager). At
the command prompt, navigate to C:\Program Files\foldername and delete the
file. Example:

C:\Windows\System32 (I'm not sure where the command prompt will start out
for you)

C:\Windows\System32 cd C:\Program Files\foldername [enter]

C:\Program Files\foldername

C:\Program Files\foldername del filename [enter]

To be sure it's gone (if you didn't get an error message)

C:\Program Files\foldername dir [enter]

Use Task Manager to run a New Task and type: explorer.exe [enter] to bring
back the graphical user interface.

d. If that didn't work, you can enable the built-in Administrator, log into
it, delete the folder/file, disable the built-in Administrator. To do this,
from your administrative user account start an elevated command prompt:

Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "run as
administrator". This will give you an elevated command prompt. At the
prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes [enter]

Exit the command prompt and log off. Now you will see an icon for
Administrator on the Welcome Screen. Log into this account and delete the
files. Once done, log out and back into an administrative account. Disable
the built-in Administrator account for security purposes by starting an
elevated command prompt (as above) and typing:

net user administrator /active:no [enter]

Exit the command prompt.

BTW, quite a few people have recommended Snappy Fax, which is supported in
Vista.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Lost Administrators password
    ... I tried your method, Safe Mode with Command prompt, and logged in under a Limited User account. ... NET USER ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD ...
  • Re: Still trying to remove W2K PC from NT4 Domain...
    ... OK...have now created a new user account from the DOS prompt and all seems ... created user (Pheasant) with that of Administrator? ... "Type this command in a Command Prompt and make a ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Update Error Code 800B0100 P.P.S.
    ... Administrator account that has full admin rights that could address ... those Windows updates that are not able to install. ... Accessories there is no Command Prompt. ...
  • RE: local user account
    ... I tried control useraccounts2 at the command prompt and it didn't do ... I tried logging in as administrator local to the machine, ... Somehow an account, an administrator account no less, ...
  • Re: File Deletion Problem...
    ... Booted in to Safe Mode with Command Prompt. ... Now you will temporarily enable the built-in Administrator ... When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "run as ... Log into this account and delete the file. ...