Any VMware experts on a Vista site?

Before I go to VMware with questions, I thought that I would try the Vista experts here to see if there is a match-up of the two talents. I recently had someone load VMware Workstation 6 on my new Dell desktop, which uses a Vista 64-bit platform. I now have the capability to run a Vista 32-bit platform by clicking on a desktop icon (situated on the 64-bit platform). I need occasionally to run dBase III programs in a 32-bit environment, which obviously a 64-bit environment will not tolerate.

I connect to the Internet on a wireless basis, using a RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter. This Internet connection works fine on the 64-bit platform. In the 32-bit environment, I am able to make a local network connection, but I am not able to connect to the Internet. When in Windows Explorer (32-bit platform), I do not see any USB ports enabled. The individual who installed the VMware said that I should not need a USB port in the 32-bit setup to connect to the Internet.

Has anyone had any experience using VMware and establishing Internet connections from other than the base platform?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that may pertain to my frustration!

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

  • Re: Any VMware experts on a Vista site?
    ... I recently had someone load VMware Workstation 6 on my new Dell desktop, which uses a Vista 64-bit platform. ... I now have the capability to run a Vista 32-bit platform by clicking on a desktop icon. ... I connect to the Internet on a wireless basis, using a RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter. ... The individual who installed the VMware said that I should not need a USB port in the 32-bit setup to connect to the Internet. ...
  • Re: Any VMware experts on a Vista site?
    ... platform by clicking on a desktop icon. ... I connect to the Internet on a wireless basis, ... connection, but I am not able to connect to the Internet. ... individual who installed the VMware said that I should not need a USB port ...
  • Re: Any VMware experts on a Vista site?
    ... I've just leaned that VMware has a Workstation users forum, ... I'm glad you got the internet connection sorted, as I said it is simply a case of 'playing around' with the different option to see which one 'finally' works. ... My VM only contains Windows XP and it is only there in case I need to access it for support questions, ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...
  • Re: Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1
    ... a Vista machine, it's corrupted. ... If I open the file from an XP machine (in VMware on the same computer), ... Trying to see if it's a a 8.0 issue, I did a fresh installation in VMware, installed samba 3.3 from packages, mounted the files via nfs, and it works from Vista. ... ZFS is checksummed - it should give you IO errors if the data gets corrupted. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Using a Virtualized Pen Test Platform
    ... I have traditionally used a multi-boot Linux box as my pen-test platform. ... I have been tinkering with using VMware Workstation ... so I can just switch VMs rather than having to reboot. ... is there any advantage or disadvantage of running Workstation vs. Server ...
    (Pen-Test)