RE: NLS data is missing - cannot repair

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

NLS error exact wording : on boot, I have a Windows Boot Manager error
0xc000000f "Info : Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing or
corrupt".

SFC /scannow reports : Windows Resource Protection could not start the
repair service.

Startup repair and rebuilding the BCD (which I've also done manually) both
report as per my original post.

System Restore reports : System Restore failed due to an unspecified error -
Catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF

I have another Vista machine handy, albeit x32; where might I find the NLS
files? I'm not sure what they are! I could perhaps do a Vista x64 install to
a virtual machine and grab the relevant files; I have several Linux live CDs
I could use to copy them to the relevant location, or may stick in another
hard drive and install another OS there.

Ideally I'd do a repair install of Vista; however, this will only work from
within Vista using my Technet ISO; the repair option is greyed out from boot.

I have a client visiting this evening to look at this new 64-bit Vista setup
I have on my demonstration machine with 8GB RAM; it'll be embarrassing if it
won't boot! Sadly, it will take longer than I have to rebuild, as there's a
lot of specific software set up. I'll certainly image more often in future!

--
Grey Velvet Consulting
Hungerford, UK

""Tim Quan [MSFT]"" wrote:

Hi,

What's the exact wording of this NLS error?

What's the exact wording of the error message when you run SFC?

Now let's try the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. You may have
tried them. If so, I suggest trying them again

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then
start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD
or DVD ¡­". appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method,
and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your
Windows installation and click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD
1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then
start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD
or DVD ¡­". appears.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input
method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore
1. Instert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and
then start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD
or DVD ¡­". appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method,
and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your
Windows installation and click Next
6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.
7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the
appropriate restore point.
8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What's the result?

Sincerely,
Tim Quan
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as opposed
to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

  • Re: PLEASE HELP: 2 ERROR MESSAGES
    ... The advice to do a repair install, turned out to be a grievous and expensive ... The repair install caused a corruption and windows became ... It seems as though it would not boot from the CD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Start Menu, Icons Not Appearing
    ... Also, make sure your system has no malware, download, install and run Ad ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, ... To Setup Windows XP now, ... To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R. ...
  • Re: Problem on start-up
    ... while a repair install should leave your data ... >>Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM ... >>with the option to setup Windows or Repair ...
  • Re: Can Not repair or boot XP
    ... If the PC does not boot from the CD, it is likely that it is set to boot ... test hard, are CPU, RAM, and hard drives. ... A more advanced boot CD is called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. ... getting the repair instead of trying to reinstall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: computer logs itself off
    ... >>If that fails to resolve the issue, try a Repair Install ... >>Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM ... >>with the option to setup Windows or Repair ...