VGAP4 - mci32.ocx Required to Run the Game

I play a PBE game called VGAPlanets-4 (VGAP4) and an excellent programmer has been making updates, changes, fixes etc... to the original code which was compiled with VB5 I belive. The new code is being written with VB6. The problem is that in order to take benifit of all the new whistles and bells of the new code I need to put a version of "mci32.ocx" into the Windows/System32 directory. I do so and get an error:

"Run-time error '372':
Failed to load control 'MMControl' from mci32.ocs. Your version of mci32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provieded with your application."

I've tried to use regsvr32 to register the ocx but no luck. I've tried multiple versions of the file, no luck. It worked under XP SP3 after using regsvr32.

I've had many discussions with the person writting the new code and he has not been successful either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get this to work?

Here is the "offical" site where Tim Wisseman's beta version can be found and learn more about the game:

http://www.vgaplanets.com/

Here is one of the game hosting sites where you can download the game code along with all the recent updates:

http://vgap.drewhead.org

Game code can be found under the Help & Info --> Game Info --> Downloads

This is a GREAT strategy game with hundreds (maybe thousands) of players around the world hosted on many different sites. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

FYI: The originally compiled code Client version 65 works fine with a few tweaks from:
http://planets4.hood-net.org/wiki/index.php/Operating_system_compatibility under the Vista64 section of course ;-)

But, it is the new Client 66 code that has all the fixes: http://planets4.hood-net.org/wiki/index.php/Client_66

Again, any help appreciated!

  • Re: Gothic 3 troubleshoot .. North American Version
    ... from the wonderful person Jens Mander said ... some people (so that it will freeze when loading a savegame, instead, no ... set to 4x in this game, ... And if you are running on 'high' there is at least one .ini file patch that you really need (the one that fixes the typo for 1000000 that came out as 100000). ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: VGAP4 - mci32.ocx Required to Run the Game
    ... programmer has been making updates, changes, fixes etc... ... Here is one of the game hosting sites where you can download the game ... try running VGAPlanets as admin ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)
  • LambdaRogue 1.6.2 Released
    ... fixing or adding some issues reported by players. ... It also includes the additions and fixes of the christmas release, so if you've not updated back then, you should do it now. ... creating a new game and loading a saved game have been consolidated in one screen. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.announce)
  • LambdaRogue 1.6.2 Released
    ... fixing or adding some issues reported by players. ... It also includes the additions and fixes of the christmas release, so if you've not updated back then, you should do it now. ... creating a new game and loading a saved game have been consolidated in one screen. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.misc)
  • LambdaRogue 1.6.2 released
    ... fixing or adding some issues reported by players. ... It also includes the additions and fixes of the christmas release, so if you've not updated back then, you should do it now. ... creating a new game and loading a saved game have been consolidated in one screen. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.development)