Re: COH crashes/xSODs

Before you install BIOS updates, it's a really good idea to find out what
the BIOS update "fixes".
You may find that the update is uneeded, or will possibly fix a problem you
are having.

"American197" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

First off, thanks for reading...this is my first ever online post (yeah
yeah, im a noob, etc, I get it) but I'll do my best...

I put this thread in 'games' because I didn't know where else to put
it. I'm a moderately tech savvy guy who just put together a beast of a
rig... (it got a 5.9 performance score) and everything was working
great. Notice the 'was'...that's why I'm here, lol. :cry:

*I have no idea how much information ya'll will need, so I'm gonna try
to put as much as I can. Forgive me if its too much.*

In short, while playing Company of Heroes my system randomly locks up,
loops the last sound (usually gunfire) and the monitor goes completely
white, olive/green, or blue. This usually happens after about an hour of
playing. I read up on the problem, and found out that many people were
having the same trouble I was. I've tried turning off DX10 and changing
all of the visuals to 'high' (no ultra) which apparently has cured many
other peoples' COH crashes...but it hasn't cured mine. To make matters
worse, my system just crashed for the first time outside of COH today,
while I was watching YouTube. Once again, an audio loop, and a WSOD.

People have said that installing DX9 is the way to go, but that seems
silly to me...and whats the deal with all these new Colors of Death? Is
Microsoft trying to be a bit more colorful these days, or do they mean
something?

Now, I wasn't really concerned about the crashes until it happened when
I was surfing the web---these crashes had never happened during my
marathon sessons of Farcry2, or outside of COH...until today.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob. I get it. However, even noobs need love too,
even when they live in Silicon Valley! My rig:

CASE: Coolermaster HAF
POWER SUPPLY: Ultra X3 1000w fully modular
OPTICAL: LG Super Multi Blu
MULTICARD READER: Generic Floppy/SD Card Combo
FAN CONTROLLER: Scythe Kaze Master
MONITOR: Samsung T260HD

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.6 (no OC)
CPU COOLER: Coolermaster V8
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe
GPU: EVGA Geforce 260 Core 216 OC (factory overclock)
RAM: Corsair 6GB 1333Mz DDR3 Tri-Channel (3x2GB)
HARDDRIVES: (2) Western Digital 500GB [32MB] 7200 Caviar Blacks in RAID
0
(1) Western Digital 1TB [32MG] 7200 Caviar Black
SOUND: Onboard (no additonal soundcard)
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 SP1

(I built it myself with the help of two of my buddies...it was my first
build, one of many for them.)

My major apps are few: Company of Heroes, Farcry2 (has never crashed),
itunes, etc...I just finished building the thing a couple of weeks ago.

I'm fairly sure (99%) that I have updated all the drivers for my
videocard, monitor, devices, and have installed all of the Windows 64
updates. What I HAVENT done yet is install the two BIOS updates from
Asus.

Obviously, the BIOS updates will be tops on my list, probably sometime
tomorrow. (I'm having a buddy over to help, I'm honestly a bit scared to
do it myself). However, I wanted to see if there was anybody out there
that was having the same problem as me, and could shed a bit of light on
this rediciously stupid situation. Anything that I'm missing, haven't
thought of, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help,

GO SHARKS! :cool:

--
American197

  • Re: Netgear Wireless PCI card connection problems
    ... are to add support for bigger hard disks, ... I've had fairly good luck with BIOS updates. ... ASUS motherboard offered no recovery proceedure. ... and install some other hard disk temporarily. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Linux on TravelMate
    ... and there are no bios updates as yet. ... will boot then there should be ... Mandrake is the only one my girlfriend and I are really ... >>install the machines boots with the same problem. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: MCE Install issues
    ... Do you have another graphics card you could try instead of the AIW card ... since MCE 2005 does not recognize the tuner on the AIW card at installation ... problem b/c I can install XP pro and XP pro 64 with no issues. ... Have you checked for any recent BIOS updates for your MOBO? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: memory problem
    ... lights on the board once as normal then sits there with the power ... will boot with either of the sticks. ... install them alone, just not together. ... is if bios updates are cumulative. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc)