Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?

The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the games you want.

Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are sharpest at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy. 20" monitors typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.

A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/ shows a game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450 and is getting 6 frames per second (completely unplayable) even at 1280x1024. You may be able to play peggle on it but even games like Bioshock which is not that big of a graphics hog has really unacceptable framerates with the card.

If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something like the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better performance.

Hope that helps!
Mark

"Joe" <JoeQ@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Xns9B9455145E3E9JoeQPublictv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
0A6A34796FF4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
Dell Studio Desktop
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
Webcam ( SP2009W )
ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita

Thank you. t-4-2

Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though, while
I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
over 4 gigs right now is pointless.

Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.

I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17" macbook
pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used? :)

--
Joe

  • Re: How Many Degrees Should a Person Have?
    ... play games other than pool. ... Taboo is probably the most fun. ... find it had turned into some kind of slot card race track thing. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: RGP HOME (8) GAME in 50 minutes!
    ... Kellly has no clue how to play poker, ... instructions I given about strong starting hands in the eight games. ... Limit Holdem -- Do not even get involved in the pot unless you AA, KK, ... Seven Card Stud -- Unless you have a pair bigger than any door card ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: New Gamer pissed off already
    ... executives that don't even play games making all the money are just smiling ... >> figuring that I could play new games on it. ... >> Why the hell would I go out and buy a 20O dollar video card when Call ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: New Gamer pissed off already
    ... >figuring that I could play new games on it. ... >card just to play call of duty united offensive,not to mention COD2. ... >Why the hell would I go out and buy a 20O dollar video card when Call ... piece of crap.And why would Activision sell COD ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • RE: Games and video problems!
    ... ATI Radeon X550, its pci. ... > and model of the motherboard and graphics card, the processor, how much RAM ... > good one in order to be able to play demanding games like COD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)