Re: Vista wont install most games

"richc46" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:d899b7f2adbac7c05370ce71949da328@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just purchased a new puter with 64bit Vista. I tried to install my
Scrabble game, without success. I called the tech dept of the game
manufacturer and was told that there are very few games that are
compatible with 64bit.

"Mark" <mark_butler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

Richc46 - thats actually not true, many games work just fine with
Vista64. The ones that don't tend to be older games or have some
special quirk.

I don't know what your Scrabble game is like but can you give any
error messages it displays? Have you tried running the installer as an
administrator (right-click on setup.exe on the cd)

And a lot of times a tech support person will just say it doesn't work to
get you off the phone. :)

I'm sure your Scrabble guys are of the basic mindset that they probably
did not test the game under x64, didn't list x64 as supported on the box
of the game, so ergo, they don't have to support the OS.

Sucks because it seems like most of the major manufacturers are
installing x64 now on systems at 4gb ram or more.

In most cases though the game should work, unless there's some 16-bit
code in the game or installer. Then you are SOL.

Aren't there like 100 different websites with free Scrabble like games
you can play?
--
Joe

  • Re: DirectX with C#, Porting problem
    ... the redist files are an option part of the SDK install - you can choose to ... http://www.thezbuffer.com - News and information for Managed DirectX ... my game 2 run.... ... Installer packages won't work since the installer doesn't know how to ...
  • Re: Last Look at W7
    ... But older 16 bit content (some game installers ... use a 16 bit installer), the 32 bit OS is good for those. ... put an entry in the boot screen and so on. ... you have to put back the legacy MBR. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Breaking one of the few games for linux.
    ... the installer actually seems to have completed copying ... that are commercially developed and released for the Linux platform. ... I'm not actually trying to get it installed to play the game. ... Linux and I hoped to gague its' installation performance as well as the ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: the party is over - bioshock cracked
    ... layout and initialization files) from the retail DVD with the installer files from the demo. ... The only noticable side effect is that the installer neglects to copy the Bioshock executable, but since this release includes a cracked version it's a moot point." ... I got a great game wrapped in a pile of shit security system that could prevent me playing it for years to come, whilst some pirating twat can get a 'free' version of the game that they are guaranteed to be able to play in years to come. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)