Re: Vista 64 bit, fonts and games

Thanks for the response Paul. I do have 'use Windows XP style DPI scaling' enabled but to no avail. I think your right, it's the application's fault.

Regards

"Paul Smith" <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OuKsFy8HJHA.2492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"RiverDog" <riverdog@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:BBAEB4BD-6143-4E36-8F9D-12977CAF04E6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I run a computer with a 30" Dell monitor, using an Nvidia 8800GTX card &
latest drivers, 4 gb ram and Vista Ultimate 64 bit. If I run Vista at a
desktop resolution of 2460 x 1600 (the native resolution of the monitor) I
find the fonts generally to be too small so I go to Control Panel -
Personalization, Personalize appearance and sound, Adjust font size (DPI)
and adjust the DPI setting to 150%. Everything is cool. However, if I try to
go higher, to, say 200%, then I find that many games won't work properly.
For example, World of Warcraft gets to the start up screen but the font
cursor remains stuck in the center of the screen, for Assassin's Creed it
gets by the initial publishers, etc. splash screens and then goes black
while the sound continues normally. If I change the DPI setting back to
150%, the games then run properly.

Now, my questions are: Why is this happening? How do I correct it? In other
words, how can I get Vista to run the DPI at 200% and still get the games to
work properly? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately not all applications support higher DPI settings very well.

You could try toggling 'use Windows XP style DPI scaling' under Custom DPI, but typically unless an application is DPI aware then it will start running into problems.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

  • Re: Quick Graphic Question
    ... and it's more or less automatic on small VB Forms without needing any repositioning code because in many respects VB is already dpi aware. ... There are still the Vista and Windows 7 special dpi scaling problems to account for though, which can cause problems with your Form display even when you are already doing all the right things in your code (the problems I mentioned that can occur when the user's machine is set to 120 dpi with no tick in the box against "Use Windows XP Style DPI Scaling". ...
  • Re: Date at bottom of screen?
    ... Or will I need to do this for the entire display? ... DPI will be smaller. ... If you have modified the Windows theme, ... To change font sizes for particular elements of window objects, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP: IE8 Connection between WXP 120 DPI & active desktop im
    ... IE8 uses the font DPI setting of the Windows XP operating system. ... DPI large, IE8 will render the active desktop with the same change, (since ... the active desktop is a web page) this will in turn change the desktop image ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Overriding Windows display settings - vb6
    ... This has resulted in the physical size of desktop elements in Windows itself and in most applications being far too small for comfort for an ever increasing number of users. ... I know there are numerous ways of increasing the size of specific elements, icon size and icon font and all sorts of other things, but none of those methods are really effective for everything on the display. ... One thing that does have an effect on the entire display for all applications and which does make everything larger for the user is to change the desktop pixel resolution in the graphics card driver. ... That of course is the thing we have been talking about, which is to change Windows dots per inch resolution from the standard 96 dpi to something larger, perhaps 120 dpi or 144 dpi. ...
    (comp.lang.basic.visual.misc)
  • Re: Taskbar wont retain Classic Format
    ... With a DPI ... As you increase the number of pixels, you display more ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... NoSaveSettings can also exist in this key... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)