Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 01:45:01 -0700, Kevryl
<Kevryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never used newsgroups,

Just a clarification for you here. You say you've "never used
newsgroups," but in fact you are using one at this moment. You think
you're on a web-based forum, actually you are just using the web-based
interface to this newsgroup,

Using the awful web interface to participate in this newsgroup is the
slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone method of using the newsgroups
there is. Do yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as
Outlook Express, which comes with Windows XP, or Windows Mail, which
comes with Vista. See

but I'd like to try that. However the link is
dead, so I copied/pasted into my browser but it didn't do anything.

I use Outlook 2002 (which i think I need to retire with Windows 7 in favour
of Outlook 2007), not Outlook Express.

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Kevryl.

Yes, my 40-year-old son is now a database programmer for the University of
Texas. I'm still better at solving PC problems, but he speaks languages
(like SQL and .NET and SharePoint) that I can't even read in MSDN Magazine.

Ah, "Dir /x" - THAT'S the secret! Thanks I shall note that one.

One of my favorites, although it's not needed very often.

PS: I keep ticking "notify me of replies", but it never does. :-(

I never see that option because I never use "Communities" or "discussion
groups" to read newsgroups. I've always used a newsreader, going back to
Outlook Express and earlier. Now I use Windows Live Mail; in case your PC
vendor did not bundle it with Win7, it is available free at, along with all the other Windows Live Essentials
(Live Messenger, Live Photo Gallery, etc.).

Just click here:

That one click should fire up your default newsreader, connect you to the MS
public news server (which is free and does not require you to log on) and to
this newsgroup, where you can read all the same messages as in the
discussion group, but in a newsgroup format, rather than the web-based
browser interface. Try it and see if you like it better.

R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Kevryl" <Kevryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Ah, "Dir /x" - THAT'S the secret! Thanks I shall note that one.

8 years old eh? Yes I too recall the frustrations of "syntax error", as if
the system new what one was doing but, like a teacher was bloody-mindedly
impressing a point! LOL. I guess now, at 40 odd he probably runs rings
both of us?

Cheers, have a great day.
PS: I keep ticking "notify me of replies", but it never does. :-(

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Kevryl.

Ah, memories! Some fun, some not. ;^}

Even in Win7, I often find that Dir /s in an elevated "DOS" window is
much faster and more effective than pressing Start and typing in what I'm
looking for - but not always. Often, Search is so fast it's amazing; it
sometimes finds what I want before I can finish typing the search word.

But some things the GUI simply can't do. For example, the Dir /x command
will reveal the 8.3 Short File Name for any Long File Name. VERY handy
when the LFN includes a space or other illegal character. Or when the
is just too long to qualify as an SFN. Dir /x shows the SFNs in a column
before the LFNs, but only for each LFN that does not also qualify as an

I stumbled on a "fix" for the problem of finding my user folder (though
can't find how I did it now,.

I don't know how you did it either, but don't argue with success. ;<)

Like each other step up the learning curve, it will take a few days to
comfy with Win7; after that, only a few users choose to go back to their
earlier system. I recall how angry and irritated my then-8-year-old son
in 1978 when TRS-80's Level II BASIC replaced the simple, tiny 4 KB Level
BASIC. ("What's a Syntax Error? Why can't it just say 'WHAT?' like it

"Kevryl" <Kevryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks, R.C. for the useful info. Yes, I well remember when "folders"
"directories", and when you could read the whole "config.sys" file
between taking sips of coffee! oh, and do you remember (fondly) those
hard-copy manuals, keyboard templates and quick-reference flip-cards
came with software like Lotus 1-2-3 and Enable? And I wonder why
handling and filtering capabilities of programmes like Borland's X-tree
never incorporated by Microsoft into their limited "Explorer" windows?
the extended filenames came into being it seemed to me that trying to
anything, guessing characters that would be substututed and appended
the first 6 (was it?) made using DOS directory commnds rather
However I'll keep your info as a reference and look back into it.
back to the present:

I stumbled on a "fix" for the problem of finding my user folder (though
can't find how I did it now,. In the User tree where "default" was
think I right-clicked the default folder name. Whatever I did there was
option to "move down one position" (or very similar wording). I did
all the folders, including my own magically appeared! Go figure! As I'm
looking for where I found that (its not under the right-click menu any
longer) the "search sub-directories" that I kept getting when my folder
invisible is also not to be found. The nuances of Windows 7 are quite
puzzling to me at this early stage. :-|

Cheers, Kevryl.

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Kevryl.

As Ken explained, MS has decided that there will be NO Win7
newsgroups -
I'm as disappointed as Ken about this. :>(

As to your C:\Users\Kevryl folder tree...

immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only

Is this in Windows Explorer? What IS your username? Might it
include "illegal" characters? It should not, of course, because
should not let you create such a username in the first place, but
things happen sometimes.

In an elevated Command Prompt window, you should be able to use the
command, held over from MS-DOS days when "folders" were Directories.
with any command here, just type Dir /? to see a mini-Help file
switches and parameters available with this command.) Start with your
Dir C:\kevryl /s/a

The /s and /a switches search all subfolders and list all files, even
with Hidden, System or other attributes. If a file or folder named
is anywhere in Drive C: it should show up and you can read the full
pathname. (You could also search for "outlook.pst", of course.)

If that doesn't work, post back with details about what you did - step
step - and what result you saw - verbatim; please don't paraphrase any
message that might appear. Several other techniques are available to
fine-tune Dir searches.

I'm assuming of course that you are an Administrator and logged in as

"Kevryl" <Kevryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello all,

Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it
to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree.
here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion

I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My
account is there on both (libraries documents right click
immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only
default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an
mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder
visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down
arrow). I
have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden
and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system
user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my
file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.

If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this
flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Relevant Pages

  • RE: old 5.5 servers
    ... Open the local hard drive containing Windows ... Click to open the "ie7" folder and then click to open the spuninst folder ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
  • RE: Locating corrupt driver
    ... This article describes the functionality and limitations of the Windows ... Create and format partitions on drives. ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ...
  • RE: re-setting boot partition
    ... Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console ... For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ...
  • Re: Last known good configuration
    ... >> from registry problems in Windows XP Home Editon? ... and you'll load the Recovery Console ... > appropriate windows folder if it's at a different location. ... Type the whole command in one line, ...
  • RE: Win2000 Upgrade to SP3 Express Setup error.
    ... Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ... you cannot copy a file from the local hard disk to a floppy disk. ...