Re: Unable to replace file with newer version

Hi, Samkent.

Have you tried the good old Dir command with the /x switch?

Dir /x should insert an addition column in the listing, showing the SFN (Short File Name, also known as the 8.3 filename) for each file and folder whose LFN is not also a "legal" SFN. Do it for the directory/directories that hold each of the problem files.

This often discloses some strange and unexpected characters in filenames!

Let us know what you see.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Samkent" <Samkent.3zaggd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Samkent.3zaggd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just tried it. Same result. The file disappears from the directory as
you would expect. But once I copy the new file into the directory and
then run it, the login page shows it’s the old version.

I just tried something else with strange results.
I’m in the right folder with the new file copied there.
If I run it the login page shows it’s the old file.
If I change the file name by one letter then run it all is fine with
the new login page.
If I change the file name back to the right name it becomes the old
file.
I can change the name back and forth and the login page changes
old/new/old/new.

I’m not working with a short cut or anything. I am working with a
simple Access MDE file. I’ve been working with computers since the days
of DOS version 1 so I’m not a dufus when it comes to computers.

This one has me baffled.

--
Samkent

  • Re: What A Pain!
    ... However using different names on different computers is not one of ... my family thinks I am strange, but that practice is not the reason. ... When using a proper news server your login ... So yes, using two different names to post from the same news server, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: What A Pain!
    ... using different names on different computers is not one of them. ... family thinks I am strange, but that practice is not the reason. ... When using a proper news server your login ... So yes, using two different names to post from the same news server, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Forms authentication fails on some computers with IE HELP ! :-(
    ... strange thing is that the problem only occured on some IE6 browsers ... > I have a website with forms authentication installed it seems to work ... > however on some computers it won`t let you login! ...
  • Forms authentication fails on some computers with IE HELP ! :-(
    ... I have a website with forms authentication installed it seems to work ... however on some computers it won`t let you login! ... you intsall on those computers Mozilla it works as expected ... did someone else experienced this (really strange) behavior? ...
  • Re: Go directly to limited login
    ... > These computers have a limited login, ... > they use these public-access computers. ... > login, which is used only by staff. ... You can leave the password box blank if your account does ...