Re: Unable to replace file with newer version

Hi, Samkent.

Have you tried the good old Dir command with the /x switch?

Dir /x should insert an addition column in the listing, showing the SFN (Short File Name, also known as the 8.3 filename) for each file and folder whose LFN is not also a "legal" SFN. Do it for the directory/directories that hold each of the problem files.

This often discloses some strange and unexpected characters in filenames!

Let us know what you see.

R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Samkent" <Samkent.3zaggd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Samkent.3zaggd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just tried it. Same result. The file disappears from the directory as
you would expect. But once I copy the new file into the directory and
then run it, the login page shows it’s the old version.

I just tried something else with strange results.
I’m in the right folder with the new file copied there.
If I run it the login page shows it’s the old file.
If I change the file name by one letter then run it all is fine with
the new login page.
If I change the file name back to the right name it becomes the old
I can change the name back and forth and the login page changes

I’m not working with a short cut or anything. I am working with a
simple Access MDE file. I’ve been working with computers since the days
of DOS version 1 so I’m not a dufus when it comes to computers.

This one has me baffled.