Re: Files Get Renamed

Another scan by avg found no infections.
One thing I did notice.
These files are in my data folder where I keep pics, favorites, and other data.
I back them once about every other or every 3 days to an external hard drive.
In looking at these 3 files on the external - MyDatabase.accdb, MyDatabase.accde and MyDbData on
2 backups in a folder I backed up on the 21st and one on the 25th.

I found the files backed up on the 21st are ok but the backup on the 25th 1 file had been
changed to lower case: mydatabase.accdb.
The other 2 are ok.
Not sure if it was like that prior to the copy or not.

I did format my hard drive and reinstalled Vista on the 21st and the 25th. (Long story why I did it twice within
5 days).
I copied the data folder back to my primary hard drive after the reinstall.
Not sure if the copy process did this. I'm simply dragging and dropping.

James

"Bob" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:us0bv6GQKHA.468@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keep us posted.

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uHkgQ1GQKHA.1280@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Recently I have installed a few dvd maker-type software and I always
do a custom install if I'm able to. I have since uninstalled these. and even
went back to a prior restore point.

I'll do another scan and see if it comes up with anything.

James

"Bob" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#VcAhyFQKHA.3540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your computer, it is almost certain that there was some change to the computer soon before the problem began.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus, whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you owe it to the author. See also:
Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see what else is
being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure of.