Re: Files Get Renamed

Was just wondering why it was displayed MyDatabase.accdb for the longest
time then all of a sudden it was being displayed mydatabase.accdb in expolorer.

James

"R. C. White" <rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#R$08VHQKHA.4208@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, James.

(Sorry 'bout that empty post - didn't mean to hit Send yet.)

Open a Command Prompt window and use the Dir command with the /x switch to see the 8.3 filenames.

Dir /x shows:

09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC MyDatabase.accdb
09/28/2009 02:41 PM <DIR> MYDATA~1.ACC mydatabase.accdb

Those names are identical, so far as Windows is concerned. Different programs may display them differently, but they are the same to Windows "under the skin". In fact, the Command Prompt window would not let me create both names in the same folder because there was already an identically-named folder. When Windows converts the LFN (Long File Name) to the "legal" 8.3 SFN (Short File Name), it gets the same SFN with either LFN. With or without capital letters, it gets MYDATA~1.ACC either way.

This has nothing to do with Access or Basic or any other application. It's just the way that Windows (and DOS, starting about MS-DOS 6.2) works behind the scenes, ever since Long File Names have been allowed - and even before then: ABC.TXT is the same as abc.txt - or AbC.tXt. Yes, Capitalization can make a BIG difference in many contexts, but not here.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX