Re: page file issue with partition? / want to dual boot win7 with vista

Hi, wiklendt.

The Vistax64 forum where you posted your question simply relayed it to the Microsoft public news server, a part of Usenet, where I am reading it in the microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management newsgroup. Your forum will now, I hope, relay my response back to you. If you'd like to cut out the middleman and post directly to this newsgroup, just click here:

You have obviously learned a lot about how your computer works. We just need to fine-tune some of it. ;<) (The Help file in Disk Management is chockfull of good information, but it covers a lot of topics (GPT disks, dynamic disks, etc.,) that most of us don't need to get into, and it is organized as a reference, so we can't just read it sequentially like a text or tutorial. I highly recommend investing some time (and money?) in a good reference like the Vista Resource Kit from Microsoft Press or Windows Vista Inside Out, by Ed Bott and others.)

i started with wanting to shrink (which i assume automatically
creates a partition? no one ever explicitly says!

You didn't explicitly say, but I assume you are using Disk Management in Vista. (DM is one of my favorite utilities and it gets better with each version. Vista added the "Shrink Volume" function.) When Shrink Volume is successful, it leaves some "Free Space" in which a new volume can be created, but it does not automatically create the new volume. DM doesn't know if we want to create one big volume or several smaller volumes in that space. To create a new volume there, we right-click in the Free Space, choose New Simple Volume, and follow the wizard.

however, i am only allowed to shrink by 21976 Mb. even after i
defragged and performed a system cleanup, the shrink size didn't change
by even one bit,

You apparently have an "unmovable file" near the end of your newly-shrunken drive. You need to identify that file and delete it, or Copy it to another spot, closer to the front of your drive. It's not always easy to identify which file is where on a volume.

which makes me think the paging file / "shadow copies"
(which home premium is supposed to not have?) are the culprit.

The page file is usually deleted and recreated anew at each reboot, so it is seldom unmovable. But, to be sure, you can use Advanced System Properties to set it to NO page file temporarily, just long enough to let defrag claim that space. After changing to NO page file, reboot, then open a Command Prompt and enter Dir C:\ /a and look for the file pagefile.sys. It should be about 4 GB in size and should show that it was created today at the time you PREVIOUSLY rebooted, not your current reboot. You should be able to easily delete it, although you may have to remove the System and Hidden attributes first. Don't worry about losing it; Vista will recreate it automatically as soon as you change the Advanced System Settings and reboot again.

You might need to go through a similar exercise to delete C:\hiberfil.sys, which should also be over 3 GB. This is what holds the memory dump while Vista hibernates, so you will have to temporarily turn off hibernation in your power options.

if i set *no* page file, what effect will this have on my system?

Vista uses a page file, even if it has unlimited RAM; that's just the way it works. So be sure to return your setting to System Managed as soon as your repartitioning is done.

Post back if you have questions.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"wiklendt" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:29b9b2b0a5c48d5c70694cb47bceeb92@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i'm wishing to create a partition in order to dual boot win7RC with
vista (home premium).

i started with wanting to shrink (which i assume automatically
creates a partition? no one ever explicitly says! if not, anyone got a
good link i can follow?) my only harddisk (the total disk size is ~220
Gb, only 82 Gb used) to make a 50 Gb partition on which to install
win7.

however, i am only allowed to shrink by 21976 Mb. even after i
defragged and performed a system cleanup, the shrink size didn't change
by even one bit, which makes me think the paging file / "shadow copies"
(which home premium is supposed to not have?) are the culprit.

another thread suggested they found an option to move page files in
their computer |advanced settings, but i don't seem to have an option in
computer|advanced settings to move the page files, only to set a size of
page file, or no page file. (see attached image). even if i move page
files to another disk, how can i move them back?

if i set *no* page file, what effect will this have on my system? i am
running Vista Home Premium SP1 with 4Gb physical RAM (recently upgraded
from 2 Gb - so, do i even need the paging file at all?).

my page file is currently set to 3369 Mb. i do not play games or
stress my system much. i mainly run MS Office 2007 and use the internet
and burn the odd backup DVD/CD. i did notice apps running much faster
(especially defrag!) with added RAM, will removing paging file (a) make
a difference in my app performance (i'm not a power user, so i don't
care if there's 0.00000000000000000000000000000000004 seconds difference
like some people!); (b) will it effect how much i can shrink the volume
and (c) is this what i want to do at all to partition??

thanks!

|Filename: How to move page files.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14347|

wiklendt