page file issue with partition? / want to dual boot win7 with vista

i'm wishing to create a partition in order to dual boot win7RC with
vista (home premium).

i started with wanting to shrink (which i assume automatically
creates a partition? no one ever explicitly says! if not, anyone got a
good link i can follow?) my only harddisk (the total disk size is ~220
Gb, only 82 Gb used) to make a 50 Gb partition on which to install
win7.

however, i am only allowed to shrink by 21976 Mb. even after i
defragged and performed a system cleanup, the shrink size didn't change
by even one bit, which makes me think the paging file / "shadow copies"
(which home premium is supposed to not have?) are the culprit.

another thread suggested they found an option to move page files in
their computer |advanced settings, but i don't seem to have an option in
computer|advanced settings to move the page files, only to set a size of
page file, or no page file. (see attached image). even if i move page
files to another disk, how can i move them back?

if i set *no* page file, what effect will this have on my system? i am
running Vista Home Premium SP1 with 4Gb physical RAM (recently upgraded
from 2 Gb - so, do i even need the paging file at all?).

my page file is currently set to 3369 Mb. i do not play games or
stress my system much. i mainly run MS Office 2007 and use the internet
and burn the odd backup DVD/CD. i did notice apps running much faster
(especially defrag!) with added RAM, will removing paging file (a) make
a difference in my app performance (i'm not a power user, so i don't
care if there's 0.00000000000000000000000000000000004 seconds difference
like some people!); (b) will it effect how much i can shrink the volume
and (c) is this what i want to do at all to partition??

thanks!

|Filename: How to move page files.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14347|

wiklendt

  • Re: Shrinking/expanding basic volumes
    ... You can't do what you want to do with Vista the way you intend. ... The shrink space you create will be on the right side of whichever partition you are ... When resizing the boot partition you wouldn't screw up the partition by shrinking it. ... The reason I ask is because, I've read that the space you're adding to the primary must be adjacent to the primary partition. ...
  • Re: Shrink Volume Logical Disk Manager Error Access Denied
    ... I am using windows vista Home premium 32 bit operating system. ... I used perfect disk to get 60 gb of shrink space. ... DENIED".Even i tried reducing the shrink partition to till 5gb. ...
  • Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop
    ... a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, ... The resizing and partition writing gets done after ... I was able to shrink the system NTFS partion using tools found in Vista and a third party tool which was either freeware or shareware. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Shrinking/expanding basic volumes
    ... Since Vista is such a space hog, I'll just have to see what I can move to another partition. ... shrink space you create will be on the right side of whichever partition ... The reason I ask is because, I've read that the space you're adding to the primary must be adjacent to the primary partition. ...
  • Re: Vista 32 and 64 bit dual boot
    ... I go about setting a dual boot with Vista 64 bit, ... and I do have two Vista licenses. ... If you just have the one hard drive, with one large partition, assuming you've got the space you can go into Disk Management, and right click on the particular hard drive and select shrink volume. ...