Re: Hard Drive Image or Copy

You don't use copy for restoration work. You use image.

When you copy from one drive to the next you create a bootable partition on the second drive. You have 1 copy on the 500 gig drive. If you had 1 partition on the original drive you will have 1 partition on the copy drive. If you have 3 partitions on the original drive you will have 3 partitions on the copy drive. You do this so you can physically replace the old drive with the new.

An image is stored as a "file". You can have many, many images on a 500 gig hard drive. You can image 1 of the partitions (say the system partition) or you can image all of the partitions at once. You then restore the image file to the original disk drive as 1 partition or all 3 if you so desire.

Personally, I see no reason to image other than the system partition. The data in my other partitions is just copied over to the 500 gig drive and placed in a folder. No compression is used and what you need is supplied with the operating system.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O2$7Yb7$JHA.4680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm a bit confused about imaging a hard drive.
I recently purchased a 500 gb external hdd. My internal hdd has
only 39 gb used. Why would I create an image of the drive as opposed to simply
copying the drive contents when a copy would fit on the external hdd? And if I copy
the drive contents to the external drive and I want to restore it how does that work?
Does data only get replaced or can I remove what's on the internal hdd and then
copy the backup to the internal hdd??

Any help will be appreciated,
James

.