Re: Hard Drive Image or Copy

You don't use copy for restoration work. You use image.

When you copy from one drive to the next you create a bootable partition on the second drive. You have 1 copy on the 500 gig drive. If you had 1 partition on the original drive you will have 1 partition on the copy drive. If you have 3 partitions on the original drive you will have 3 partitions on the copy drive. You do this so you can physically replace the old drive with the new.

An image is stored as a "file". You can have many, many images on a 500 gig hard drive. You can image 1 of the partitions (say the system partition) or you can image all of the partitions at once. You then restore the image file to the original disk drive as 1 partition or all 3 if you so desire.

Personally, I see no reason to image other than the system partition. The data in my other partitions is just copied over to the 500 gig drive and placed in a folder. No compression is used and what you need is supplied with the operating system.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O2$7Yb7$JHA.4680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm a bit confused about imaging a hard drive.
I recently purchased a 500 gb external hdd. My internal hdd has
only 39 gb used. Why would I create an image of the drive as opposed to simply
copying the drive contents when a copy would fit on the external hdd? And if I copy
the drive contents to the external drive and I want to restore it how does that work?
Does data only get replaced or can I remove what's on the internal hdd and then
copy the backup to the internal hdd??

Any help will be appreciated,
James

  • Re: How to use Ghost 9 for notebook HDD upgrade
    ... I do have a second HDD on the desktop and sorry for I did not mention ... I have to use Ghost to boot from the notebook to perform the restore ... So my thought about using desktop to do the restore process and then just ... partition, and after that would have around 60G partitioned space ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Partition question when reinstalling XP.
    ... > the system restore partition. ... You don't have to get another HDD. ... Simply running the restore program ... > primary boot drive, or do I copy the image back onto the original drive? ...
  • Re: Format Hard Drive
    ... reformatted the NTFS partition. ... dell offers three restores 1) manual restore 2) PC restore 3) system restore. ... why does the winxp not recognize the hdd, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to use Ghost 9 for notebook HDD upgrade
    ... I do have a second HDD on the desktop and sorry for I did not mention it ... I have to use Ghost to boot from the notebook to perform the restore ... So my thought about using desktop to do the restore process and then just ... partition, and after that would have around 60G partitioned space remained. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Restoreing Dump on FreeBSD headless server
    ... Fresh install with spare partition) then restore the dump on an empty ... to tell you the truth: I am using a remote backup solution since 2.5 ...
    (freebsd-questions)