Re: Safe to delete? Temporary Internet Files

Hi, Bob.

After following the other advice to clean out your unneeded TIF, you can do
a few things to prevent future buildup.

These TIF file folders are special and can't always be handled by "normal" Windows tools. They are best managed by settings in Internet Explorer, which creates these files and maintains them.

First, in Internet Explorer, click Tools | Internet Options and have a look
at the first tab, "General". (I'm running Win7 RC and IE8. You didn't say
what Windows and IE versions you are using, so what you see may be slightly different from what I
see, but the general idea is the same in any version of IE.) In the second
section there (I see "Browsing History"; you may see a different label.)
there are a couple of boxes, "Delete..." and "Settings". In IE8 there is
also a new checkbox, for "Delete browsing history on exit", that wasn’t
there in previous versions; check this. If this box is not there in your version, don't worry; we'll take care of that in another way later.

Then click Settings to go to the next screen. You can make several possible
tweaks here. First, you can limit the size of your TIF. I'm using 50 MB,
the lowest "recommended" size for MY computer; you can set this to suit the
way YOU use your computer and the Internet.

Under Current Location, you can "Move folder..." to wherever you'd like. If
you have only a single volume (Drive C: ?) on a single HDD, there's not much
use in changing this location. But if you have another volume with plenty
of room, this setting lets you put your TIF into X:\TIF, for example. (IE
will automatically create a subfolder named "Temporary Internet Files" in
the folder you select, so give your "parent" folder a nice short name.) But this will get all those space-hungry TIF files out of Drive C:. As you will be informed, the location won't be changed until you log off and start IE again.

CAVEAT: This does not just log you out of IE when you click OK. It logs you out of Windows! So be sure you have closed OTHER applications that you have running before clicking OK! (I forgot just now and had to recover the draft of THIS reply after logging in to Windows and restarting WLMail.)

One final tweak, even if you checked the box I mentioned before: Go back to the General tab and click Advanced. Scroll way down to the bottom of the list, under Security, and check the box that says "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

All this advice should slim down your TIF and keep it as slim and trim as possible.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"SilentBob" <SilentBob.3uowbb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

After realising how much my hard drive was full, I tried looking around
what was taking all the place.
After unhiding the files in
"_C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows_", I was shocked to
see that the folder Temporary Internet Files
(_C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary_Internet_Files_)
had over 46000 files, taking over 86GB of my hard drive.
To my knowledge, "Temporary Internet Files" are *temporary* and safe to
delete. Since my knowledge is restricted and may be very wrong, I
decided to ask you guys (or girls) if it really is.

Thats it and thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: After opening the folder, I did CTRL+A to select all the
files and saw that even though both hidden and protected files are set
to be shown, I had only around 2900 files selected instead of the 46000
I expected. Anyone can help me with this?

--
SilentBob
SilentBob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110728.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

[...]

  • Re: IE 6.0 freezes
    ... Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files ... TIF & Cookies Information - ... TIF and Cookies are in quite separate physical folders. ... When you empty the Temporary Internet Files folder in Internet ...
  • Re: Outlook express generates wbk files in temp folder!
    ... really do much of anything in OE without two files being created in Win Temp! ... windows open at once and can literally SEE two or three of these files ... that the definition of temporary files or a temporary folder was just ... Temporary Internet Files (TIF). ...
  • Re: Unable to delete file with extremly long name
    ... Open Command Window Here? ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... To let IE 7 clean them, I moved my "Temporary Internet Files" folder to ...
  • Re: Unable to delete file with extremly long name
    ... Open a DOS windows. ... which is included in the Windows Power tools. ... To let IE 7 clean them, I moved my "Temporary Internet Files" folder to ...
  • Re: clearing history and stored web addresses
    ... Deletes the History folder. ... you go the distance and do a Deltree on TIF and Cookie folders. ... Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files ... TIF and Cookies are in quite separate physical folders. ...